Chapter Four-Part Three

"Take ownership of your actions."

(Yoon Myeong Joo)

   Mo Yeon nervously stood behind the protective body of Si Jin's as he held her hand and then slowly proceeded towards the stranger

   Mo Yeon nervously stood behind the protective body of Si Jin's as he held her hand and then slowly proceeded towards the stranger. Mo Yeon suggested whisperingly that they should call the police, but Si Jin decided against it, for the man may look harmful but he has never responded aggressively ever since they arrived at her home. "Stay behind me." He ordered as he took a few cautious steps closer to the stranger. "Excuse me, sir. Please turn around."

   Si Jin and Mo Yeon heard a loud sigh coming from the stranger before slowly turning around to reveal himself. It was at that moment when Mo Yeon recognised who that person, who was approximately in his late fifties, was.

   "A..abeoji?" Mo Yeon muttered out, causing Si Jin to glance at her in complete surprise.

   "Abeoji?" Si Jin turned to the man whom she said was her father. "That man is your abeoji?"

   The man simply let out a smile. However, as comfortable jis smile was, he looked frail. "It's been a while, my daughter. I hope I'm not intruding."

   "...Abeoji.." She muttered again, not knowing what to do. All she could do at that moment was to just stare at her father, the man who had irresponsibly left her family without a trace.

*****

   It was already half past eleven at night and most of the neighbours had already gone to bed. While the neighbours enjoyed their sleep, a total opposite of the otherwise peaceful environment occured in the interior of the doctor's house. An unlikely guest had appeared right at her doorstep, and ironically, it has been eighteen years since she last seen her father. They felt awkward seeing each other; notable by how distant they were based on their actions.

   Si Jin initially planned to leave, fearing that his presence would only interfere the reunion since he was not legally linked to her family just yet. It was unwise for a third party to influence certain family matters, his father reminded when he was young, and this is the situation where his father's advice came to play. However, Mo Yeon somehow 'pleaded' him not to leave, and so he stayed. Maybe she needed him badly at this moment, he thought, as a support.

   Ever since he knew her, she had neither once mentioned about her family, nor much of her background. All he knew was that she is a hardworking doctor who had once seeked materialistic needs before the earthquake changed her perspective. She was good in Mathematics, an other than that, she was immensely beautiful–in fact, too beautiful to be a doctor. She is self-asservative and independent and adaptable, and she survived pretty much on her own using her skills rather than her looks although in the end, she benefitted much from it. However, how she lived in her early years was a mystery. It was a strange thing that he even fell in love with her without actually digging a little bit into her profile.