Chapter Five-Part Two

"Little strokes fell great oakes."

(Seo Dae Young)

Chinese Airspace

Chinese Airspace

   PLAAF Air Traffic Control: AC-130 aircraft, you are entering Chinese airspace. Squawk identity, over.

   Hercules Pilot: Air Traffic Control, this is transport, over. Republic of Korea Army, designation K-A-5-6-1-9'er. Be advised, special cargo onboard for military exercise, over.

   PLAAF Air Traffic Control: Copy, Hercules. We will secure landing platform. Be advised, Runway 6 is open. I repeat, Runway 6 is open.

   Hercules Pilot: Roger, ATC. Wilco. Over and out.

Inside Hercules Transport Aircraft
7.45 p.m. Chinese Time

   "Still thinking about her, Soryeongnim?" Dae Young muttered to the Major sitting next to him, who was rather silent duting the entire flight. Not that he had been silent for the first time, for it became some sort of a practice to maintain absolute silence when it came to special-mission flights ever since he took the helm as the team leader of Alpha Team previously. The tradition stood within Si Jin, but this time, Dae Young felt a different kind of aura of silence that was emittibg from the Major's body. Si Jin's head faced downwards, and his eyes closed.

   Upon hearing Dae Young's words, Si Jin slowly opened his eyes and lifted his head in a calculated motion. Inhaling deeply before exhaling heavily, he spoke. "Only you can see how I feel."

   Dae Young never turned to face Si Jin at all. He went on instead. "Don't think about it anymore, sir. I know she will be fine."

   Si Jin let out a sigh, letting his body rumble from the vibration of the aircraft when it hit a minor air turbulence. "That's the problem." He shook his head slightly. "She thinks she will be fine, but whenever she thinks that way, something bad will happen." Finally, he stared at Dae Young who was still looking down at the floor of the plane. "She's a magnet for trouble when she sticks with me. I feel bad about it." He expressed guiltily.

   Silence fell almost instantly as Si Jin looked down again, feeling the urge to close his eyes. When he did, a few seconds later, Dae Young spoke out. "It's unavoidable, sir. Little strokes fell great oaks."

   Si Jin glanced at his comrade for the second time, but no words came out from his mouth. He simply do not know what to say anymore. He was at a lost for words. With the silence filling the atmosphere inside the plane's belly, and only the rumbling sound of the plane's engines and random vibrations doing the talking, Si Jin decided not to talk anymore. Everyone in the plane was trying to shut their eyes for a few moments of rest, including Myeong Joo who was sitting at the very left corner at the opposite direction adjacent to the door of the plane's cockpit.