Chapter Four-Part One

"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself."

(Joseph Campbell)

One day after strike
Haesung Hospital
   Newscaster: The ten-hour standoff which brought the country to one of its worst crisis since the Sewol ferry disaster ended after a fierce gunbattle last night. All hostages, including the President's son, were rescued from the hands of their captives. However, one serviceman was seriously wounded from the battle and is now treated in hospital. It is rumoured that the wounded soldier is the son of Soryeo Company founder, Park Il Joon. As of this moment, we are still trying....

   The knock on the door interrupted Yeung Joon's concentration on the TV screen in front of him. He sighed, and quickly switched the television off using the remote as soon as he heard the door opening and the sound of footsteps right after. He slowly lied back down from his sitting posture when he saw Yoon Mi approaching his bed with a file in hand. She was all smiles today, probably glad to see him wide awake and apparently alright. Yeung Joon could only grin as he tried to get the stinging sensation away from his mind. "Annyeonghi jumushossoyo." She addressed.

   "Annyeonghaseyo." Yeung Joon replied politely. "You look happy today."

   "Oh, jinjja? How do I look right now?" She asked with a rather cheerful voice as she pointed to herself. The bright smile on her face, in Yeung Joon's eyes, helped to elevate her beauty even more, and it helped to soothe his heart that was rather concerned about the news he saw just now on television.

   "Sweet in that doctor's gown and blue scrubs of yours." He praised in a casual tone.

   "Uwah, so early in the morning and you are already sweet-talking. Not bad." She returned the praise back to him with her soft tone as she began to check on him. Yeung Joon only gave her a sincere grin on his face in reply. "How are you feeling today? Still feel pain?"

   Yeung Joon placed his right hand over to his left shoulder, just to feel the sensation of his wound. When he felt the searing pain, he grunted. "Ye. I still feel the pain."

   With another perfect, comfortable smile, she spoke, "Well, it will heal. You are lucky though; the blade tore some of your muscles and a vein as well. If the blade were to hit a little bit lower, you are dead."

   Yeung Joon simply chuckled upon hearing her diagnosis. As serious as it sounded, it was quite comical to his ears, especially the way she talked that was so casual and carefree yet very caring at the same time. To Yeung Joon, Yoon Mi possessed some sort of vocal youthfulness that can make a man wonder about her age, and little did she know that it had pulled the strings in Yeung Joon's heart. Of course he couldn't say it that open, for it would only embarrass her. Still, he really liked to hear her voice and he really wanted to hear it again. He felt the urge to give a compliment but he refused to let himself slip, for if he do so it might cause a misunderstanding.

   Watching her smile somehow made him engrossed with her. He suddenly had this intention of wanting to know her more. "Do you always smile like that when you work?" He asked with curiosity.

   "Ne?"

   "Do you always smile like that when you see your patients? I mean, it's very sweet, your smile." He decided to compliment anyhow with a sincere grin.

   "Oh, jinjja? Thanks for the compliment." She replied back with an appreciative tone. Unexpectedly, she began to blush, probably because of the fact that she had never been praised for her smile as something sweet. "Actually, I smiled all the time because I believe that every patient should heal in a positive atmosphere. It's a habit I can't let go off since I was in university." She explained.