Chapter Eight-Part Five

"We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility of our future."

(George Bernard Shaw)

   Si Jin came to know about this incident the moment he arrived back at base together with Alpha Team

   Si Jin came to know about this incident the moment he arrived back at base together with Alpha Team. He made a desperate dash to her ward, barging through the door as he entered. Fortunately, what he saw on the bed was not a patient in a really bad shape, but rather, a woman well enough and most importantly, alive. Mo Yeon was attended by Dr Song and Myeong Joo, but above all else, she looked perfectly alright. Si Jin , with a great sense of relieve in his heart, simply approached the sitting Mo Yeon, and then pulled her into a protective embrace as the doctors moved away to the side to give them some breathing space.

   "I heard about what happened to you." He pulled back, scanning her body for any signs of abuse. To his relieve, there was nothing but a visible red mark around her neck that caught his attention. "Gwaenchanayo?" He sat down on the chair, holding her palms together and rubbed it gently to sooth her down. Mo Yeon didn't reply though, only looking down to the floor in response. Si Jin sensed something amiss when she was not replying to him. "Mo Yoen-ah, are you alright? Why are you so silent? Does it hurt?" He turned to the two doctors. "How is she? Is she hurt?"

   At first, Dr Song wanted to speak out, but a nudge on his left shoulder by Myeong Joo shut him up. Before Dr Song could respond to her impoliteness, his eyes caught the concerned look of Myeong Joo's. Myeong Joo shook her head at him, indirectly telling him that things were not as simple as he thought he was. Dr Song could not interfere anymore, when Myeong Joo humbly requested Dr Song to leave them alone, for she had something to share privately with Si Jin and Mo Yeon. The seriousness of her tone, as well as the concerned look of a best friend towards her colleague, was all that it took to convince him that he should not step in any further. Dr Song let out a soft sigh, showing Myeong Joo and encouraging smile to Myeong Joo and Si Jin before he quietly left the room.

   The moment Dr Song closed the door as he exited, Myeong Joo walked towards Si Jin's side, the concerned look on her face telling Si Jin that there were a lot of things he hadn't know. Si Jin needed no second guessing from the expression of her face that the main problem was not on Mo Yeon's physical condition, but rather, more on her state of mind. She took another white polyester chair lying unattended beside Si Jin, and then took a seat beside Si Jin. Myeong Joo placed her right hand on Mo Yeon's left shoulder, probably in an attempt to encourage Mo Yeon. However, Mo Yeon didn't respond to anything at all, not even a word.

   The silence in her room was downright eerie. Added to the unusual environment was that her room was dark. The blinds were still untouched, the rays from the outside projecting a maroon-coloured environment that filled the room. God knew for sure how long Mo Yeon had been staying in this condition–a condition fit enough for a mentally-disturbed patient to live in, or where a lonely patient on the brink of death could enjoy his last moments of his pitiful life before leaving it all behind. Myeong Joo gave Si Jin a slightly frustrated look, causing him to be curious. "For goodness sake, sunbaenim, what have you been doing all this time?" She questioned him. "I thought that you will take care of her really well, like you always say you will do, but this state?" She referred to Mo Yeon. "I cannot imagine the worst, sunbaenim..."