Chapter Seven-Part One

"I'd regretted all those times I tried running away from you" 

(Seo Dae Young)

Mount Odae National Park

Gangwon Province
   Sergeant Major Choi Woon Geun and the remaining members of Alpha Team went around the old hut to the side where the only ventilation system was located. What Myeong Joo didn't tell them was that the window was located directly on top of them, which meant that they had to do a little bit of climbing. "Lift me up." Woon Geun ordered to Sergeant First Class Im Gwang Nam, who was the tallest in the group, followed by himself. Sergeant First Class Im complied, slinging his assault rifle to the back as he crouched in front of the Sergeant Major. Woon Geun stepped on Gwang Nam's shoulders until his hands could reach the side of the window.

   "Got it?" Gwang Nam asked, trying to hold steady under the weight of the guy stepping on both sides of his shoulders. By then, sweat from all the humidity and tension was pouring on their faces, making life a little bit harder as they drenched in their own sweat.

   "Got it." Woon Geun replied. "I'm going in." Woon Geun lifted himself up, placing his left leg up first until it touched the side of the window. Once he felt steady enough, he pushed himself inside carefully. Luckily for him, the window was wide enough for a man of his size.

   "Wonsa!" Woon Geun glanced instinctively to the direction of the voice, switching the flashlight attached to the front side of his helmet at the same time. There, he saw Myeong Joo at the far left corner of the hut.

   Woon Geun immediately radioed Dae Young as he approached the tied-up Myeong Joo. "I've found her. Going for–" He suddenly paused when he saw her face.

   "What is it?" Dae Young asked outside.

   "Waeyo? What's wrong?" Myeong Joo was second, wondering why the demolitions expert looked so shocked upon seeing her.

   Woon Geun didn't answer. Instead, he continued with his approach. He crouched in front of the still-puzzled Myeong Joo and then, unexpectedly to Myeong Joo, shifted her face to the right slightly with the fingers of his right hand. "Gwaenchana, Yoon Jungwi?" He asked with a worried tone. "Do you feel hurt? Any pain around your body?"

   Myeong Joo was still confused by what Woon Geun was talking about. "Why did you ask that?"

   "Don't you know that you are bleeding?" Woon Geun wiped the blood off the side of her face with the tip of his fingers to prove his point, when he realised that Myeong Joo was still not getting it. Then, he showed it in front of her. "You feel no pain at all?" He questioned.

   It was only when Woon Geun showed her the red patch on his fingertips, she realised that she was hurt. Probably due to the adrenaline and the constant fear of that explosives to explode, she literally felt no pain at all. The blood might have been caused by the accident she experienced earlier, and it was still warm. When her senses returned to its original awareness state to the condition of her body, she discovered that her chest felt weird, as if there was something obstructing her lungs from expanding. Not only that, she felt a stinging sensation at the left side of her abdomen. She began to grunt in pain as she faced the soldier. "Now that you say that, I really am hurt." Knowing that Woon Geun was here for a purpose, she changed the topic. "But don't worry about me, I'll live. First," She nodded to the explosive on top of the door in front of her, "...deal with that."