{16}Why

"Oh my god," Jack said quietly, "They're fighting?" 

He carefully got up from his bed and started walking towards the wall connected to their room to hear what they were saying. He pressed his ear against the wall.

"I get that it's supposed to be a joke, but you could at least try to get them to stop!" Jack heard Amy say.

"It doesn't matter okay! Why can't we just ignore them if its bothers you so much?" Mark said back, "Seriously why is this a problem, it's not like any of it's true," he continued in a more calming voice.

"Fine! I just wish you would tell those stupid shippers to give it a damn rest!" Amy said.

"Can't you let them have their fun? It doesn't change real life, so it shouldn't matter," Mark said, trying to keep quiet.

"Whatever. I'm going to sleep," Amy said, "Fuck septiplier."

Jack was confused, "Is that what they're arguing about? That ship... between me and Mark?" Jack thought, "That's so... dumb.."

"You do that," Mark said slowly. Jack could hear Mark's footsteps, they sounded like he was moving towards the door in his room.

Jack backed away from the wall, put his hand on the dresser, and muttered, "Was that sort of.. my fault?"

Suddenly there was knocking on Jack's door, "Mark?" Jack said quietly as he started walking towards the door.

His hand wrapped around the door handle and he pulled it open. Mark was staring at the floor.
"M- Mark...? Are you okay?"

He looked up at Jack and said, "Yah... I just don't want to be in the same room as Amy right now."

Jack swallowed dryly, "Yah... I could kind of hear you guys.." Jack replied as he stepped to the side, leaving room for Mark to get in.

"oh. ..I'm sorry you had to hear that. It's a stupid fight." Said Mark as he stepped in.

"Was it about, um, septiplier..?"

Mark shook his head in disbelief "I told you it was stupid. It's just that she keeps seeing all this stuff online about it, and she's upset that I'm not telling people to stop."

"If she's so mad about it, why don't you get them to stop?" Jack asked while he sat down on his bed.

Mark made a face like he was surprised that Jack didn't understand.

"Because they're not doing anything wrong, right?" said Mark as he sat down next to Jack who replied, "No they're all just having fun I guess."

Mark sighed and ran his fingers through his dark brown hair as he carefully said, "Hey Jack?"

"Yah?"

"....you don't have to answer this but... why did you and Signe break up?"

Jack leaned back until he was lying down on his back, wrapped his arms around himself and said, "She said she lost her feelings for me.. a-and I wanted her to be happy."

Mark laid backwards so he was staring at the ceiling too, next to Jack.

"So it was the right thing to do," said Mark.