{17}Happy

"I think it was at least, it's good that you made her happy," Mark said as he put his hand on Jack's arm.

"Yah, I hope so," Jack said shakily.

"But... are you.. happy?"

Jack felt tears forming in his eyes, "I-" Jack started, "I don't know." A tear fell down his the side of his face and he turned his head away from Mark.

He pulled off his glasses and put them on the bedside table.

"Jack?" said Mark in a worried tone.

Jack took a deep breath in and said, "Its just.. when I left you guys.. I just came up here and fell asleep. I didn't have anything to do or anywhere to go. I didn't have anyone." Jack wiped away his tears with the sleeve of his shirt.

"Don't say that. You could have come with us Jack," Mark said seriously.

"I know. I just.. didn't think to ask."

"Well.. I'm here now," Mark said and turned his head towards Jack.

"A- Are you crying?" Mark asked.

Jack sniffed and replied, "Maybe," and turned himself towards Mark.

He looked into Jack's eyes. "You are not alone. Please believe that," whispered Mark.

Jack looked deep into Mark's soft brown eyes, and felt safe and protected with him here.

As they stared at each other Jack could feel his heart beating out of his chest, and noticed that Mark's cheeks had become bright pink.

They were barely a few inches apart lying on the bed, when Mark's eyes suddenly widened and he said, "I- I should go back."

His eyebrows pushed together worriedly as he looked away from Jack. Jack was surprised to see Mark pull away like that.

He slowly replied, "...Yah. Please make it up with Amy." even if it was against what he secretly hoped.

Mark sat up, put his elbows on his knees, his face in his hands and said, "It'll be fine. But.. It's just.." Mark's words faded off.

"What is it?"

"Nothing, never mind. Goodnight Jack," Mark said like he was avoiding something.

Jack sat up, and stared confusedly at Mark, who looked as if he was thinking hard about something.

Mark then turned his body towards Jack.

Mark looked right up at Jack and gave him a hug out of nowhere. A big smile spread across Jack's face as Mark's arms held him close.

Jack wrapped his arms around Mark too. "Goodnight Mark," Jack said quietly into his ear.

They sat for a moment until Mark released his grip and slowly backed away, and Jack's arms dropped from Mark's sides.

Mark's smile stayed planted on as he turned away, stood up, and walked to the door. When he reached the door and started to open it, he looked back at Jack, still smiling. "See you tomorrow," Mark said quietly as he stepped outside.

The door slowly shut and clicked closed behind him.

Jack's smile didn't fade either as he giggled softly and flopped back on the bed.

Jack contemplated what had just happened and sighed with hope, he put his hands on his face and quietly said through his fingers, "What am I thinking.. Mark has a GIRLfriend."