{21}Alone

Jack made it to the backstage entrance of the main theatre, and quickly checked the time on his phone (7:53).

There was an attendee standing at the door, who Jack approached and nervously showed his pass to. Without hesitation the man welcomed Jack, and held open the door.

"Thank you," Jack said politely as he walked in. He looked around the oddly shaped room which was scattered with boxes, chatting people, and sound equipment.

"Hey potato!" Jack heard Felix shouting from his right, Jack turned and started walking towards Felix and Ken, then shook his head as he made it to them. "Felix," Jack said seriously, "I am not a potato."

Ken raised his eyebrow and said, "Good morning to you ...potato."

Jack snickered and said, "It's good to see you Ken!" and gave him a hug.

"You too man," said Ken.

Jack glanced around once more and asked, "Where's Mary and Marzia?"

"Oh they went off together to look around PAX," Ken replied.

"Alright," Jack said as he nodded, "Mark's gonna be joining us here pretty soon, we should wait for him before we go anywhere."

"Oh, did he wake up late or something?" asked Felix.

"Um, not technically, I mean he wasn't supposed to be here at eight like you made me be," Jack replied

"Wha- but I told him t- hold on a second," Felix said as he pulled out his phone. He clicked around and spoke up again with, "aw shit, I forgot to ask Mark to come at eight, I hope he doesn't hate me! I swear I wasn't trying to leave him out."

Jack and Ken snickered, "I'm sure it's fine man," Jack told Felix, "He won't think you excluded him at all..."

Felix shoved his phone in his pocket and dramatically replied, "Yah he'll be just FINE with it."

Jack giggled again and placed his hand down on one of the many boxes. "Ooh what's in here," he said as he pushed down on it and just felt a solid block. He sat down on top of the box and looked up at Ken who looked mortified.

"What?" Jack questioned, shifting his weight on the box.

Ken replied, "Dude. That's where they keep the orphans." Felix burst out laughing, but Jack just sat in confusion.

"What the fuck?" He said staring at the giggly Felix. "Oh god, nothing, nothing.. it's just this new game coming out soon that we saw, it has people that pop out of these boxes randomly and, um, Ken said what if that's how they ship orphans... it's one of those you had to be there things sorry," Felix said smiling at Ken who was giggling too.

"You guys are strange," Jack said, "But did you actually find any good new games yet?"

"Oh yah totally... I just can't quite remember what they are," Ken said guiltily.

"You can't be serious.. that was your one job!" Felix said sarcastically.

"At least I remembered that joke," said Ken.

"Really useful for everyone Ken," Jack said giggling, "but hey, it's fine, we're going back out there when Mark gets here right? We can find some new stuff that you guys didn't see yet."

"Speak of the devil," Ken said pointing at the door.

Mark had just walked in he room, alone.