Chapter 13.

Carli's POV

I was fed up waiting around for Hope to text back. I knew she was on a plane but she was surly in Seattle now.I gave up and decided to call her. She answered on the first ring.

"Hello/"
"Hello. That's all you've got to say is hello."
"Carli don't."
"Don't do what Hope. You're the one that left without any explanation or note as to why. Jill won't tell us why. She says it's personal Hope and that you need time. What could possibly be so fucking important to leave a day before a game and not return?"
"I left, Carli, because it's what I do.I open up to people about my past and end up hurting them instead of them hurting me. I hurt Kelley and left. I left because I was scared of what might happen. Scared I'd lose her and everyone. I already lost you and now I've lost Kelley and now maybe Ashlyn. I am not in the mood to fucking lectured about my shitty mistakes I keep making over and over. I am done Carli and if you can't accept it then fine. I'll see you in Houston for training."
"Hope wait."
"For what Car?"
"I'm coming to you after the game tomorrow and we're going to talk okay?"
"Carli you don't need to."
"No I do. I'm always here Hope and I'm never leaving. I'll see you tomorrow night."
"See you. Bye Car."
"Bye Hope."

I hung up and sighed. I went and talked to Jill. I explained everything about what's happening and she is completely on board with it. I thanked her and left for my bedroom. I walked past Kelley's room and the door was open. I heard shouting and cries so I went in. I found Kelley on the ground rocking back and forth and Ashlyn sitting on the chair with her head in her hands. Ali, Alex and Tobin were sitting on the bed looking at Kelley making sure she was okay. I walked over to her and oicked her up. I walked out to the balcony with her and sat her on my lap.

"Why did she leave Carli?"
"I honestly don't know Kel. She thinks that she'll hurt you so she ran. She'll be back soon. She's okay just a little shook up. She's home and safe. As long as she's safe and sober nothing can go wrong with her there. Kelley you're going to be okay. You have friends here that are not going to leave you suffer with this. You love her and she loves you."
"But she left. She left me. She left this team. She left her friends."
"That's just how she copes. She thinks leaving is the answer to everything. I'm going to see her tomorrow and talk some sense into her. She should be back next camp."
"How am I going to face her?"
"You don't have to at first but Kell you have to prove to her she means something to you. Prove to her she's worth fighting for."
"Thanks Carli. For everything. Really."
"It's no problem. You okay?"
"Yeah a little better. It'll take time to get used to but I'll get used to it."

And with that we walked into the room. Kelley walked over to Alex and Tobin and hugged them. They took her to their room for a while to distract her. I went and talked to Ash. I grabbed a chair and sat in front of her. I took hold of her hands and she looked up at me. There was so much hurt and worry in her eyes.

"She's okay. I called and talked to her. Ash sh's just lost. She left her guard down and got scared so she ran. She's never had anyone like Kelley in so much. I'm going to see her tomorrow. Do you want to come?"
"Can I?"
"Of course. I'm leaving after the game."
"Carli I don't know if she'll be okay. She's never broken down like this before. Not since she told me her story. She didn't leave that time because I wouldn't let her. What if she doesn't come around this time?"
"She will Ash. It'll take time but Kelley,me,you and Ali will be there for her every step of the way. We have to prove to her that she's worth it. That she means so much to us."
"Thanks Car."
"No problem Ash. Look out for Kelley for her though. She'd want that."
"I know and I will."

I got up and hugged her and Ali and left the room. I walked down the hall to my room but turned around and walked to the stairs. I went up to the roof and looked out at the city. There was a slight breeze and it felt nice hitting against my face. The roof door opened and closed and I turned around. Christie was standing there looking at me. I looked at her confused and she came up and stood beside me looking out at the city.

"I heard about everything. I also got a call from Hope explaining everything. I saw you come up here and wanted to come see how you were holding up. I heard everything in Kelley's room and out on the balcony. Carli you're one hell of a woman and captain. You've been so strong through all of this so far. So, how are you? Really?"
"God, I don't actually really know. I mean like I'm pissed she didn't say anything to me but I'm also upset she left. She's my best friend and she just left without a word. Christie I don't know how I'm suppose to be feeling. I'm meant to be strong and hold the team with Becky but I feel like I'm going to crumble any minute now that Hope isn't here. She is the that's always here to lift me up if I fall and pushes me back. I don't know what I'm going to do. But I do know that when I go to her tomorrow I'm going to kick her ass for leaving."
"I understand that you want out give out to her but Carli she really needs you to be there for her. She's actually really upset about this whole and really needs her best friend. Becky can handle the team tomorrow at the game. You on the other hand need to go pack. I already spoke with Jill about this. Your flight leaves in 2 hours. Everyone understands why you're doing this. Even Kelley. She was the one who suggested it. Ashlyn is going with you too. Now come one."
"Thanks Christie. Really."
"No bother Captain."

We walked back down the stairs and I went to pack Becky had already done it and I thanked her. I hugged her and said goodbye. I walked down to Ashlyn's room and she was already ready. We went down the elevator to lobby and saw Jill. She was driving us to the airport. We loaded our bags into the car. Kelley came running out and handed me a letter with Hope's name written on it. I gave her a smile and hugged her. Ash did the same with Ali. We loaded into the car and drove. We checked in our bags and waited by our gate. Ash went to get us some coffee so I watched the bags. She came back just in time as our flight was being called. We carried our carry on with us and sat down next to each other. It wasn't a long flight. We arrived at around 11pm Seattle time. We got a taxi to Hope's. I paid while Ash got the bags out of the boot. We walked up the driveway and I rang the bell. There was some shuffling and then footsteps. She opened the door and gasped. Tears went to her eyes and pulled us into a hug. We hugged her back tight.