Chapter 35.

Alexa's POV
It's been two weeks. Two weeks since momma has left her room. I haven't talked to her. I know she's grieving. Dad is coping differently. He's working a lot more hours these days and I hate him for it. We're drifting apart. We all take turns checking up on Momma and today was my day. I persuaded mom to let me go. So here I am standing in front of her front door debating on going in. I knocked and dad appeared. He looked tired. His face lit up when he saw me. I wanted to talk to him and what better time to than now. I pulled him into the living room and sat him down on the couch next to me.
"We need to talk."
"I was hoping we would."
"Why are you working so much?"
"I feel like she doesn't need me so I'm leaving. I took up extra hours so that if there is ever an emergency I take all the time I need off. I'm not giving up on her. Not now. Not ever. I love her."
"I love you dad. Is she still in bed?"
"I love you too Lex. Yes. As always."
I stood up and he did too. He pulled me into a hug and kissed my head. I let go and walked up to their room. I stood outside the door for a few seconds before picking up the courage. Now or never. I walked in and shut the door behind me. Momma was lying in bed and the curtains were drawn. I was sick of her lying around. I walked over to the curtains and opened them. She groaned and cursed at me.
"Get up."
"Lex leave me alone."
"No. Get up now. We have business to attend to."
"Lex please."
"No Carli. I understand that you're hurting. We all are but you can't sit around forever. I'm nearly holding on and Brian is trying his best. You need to get better. I need you to get better. I need you to be there. I need to know when I leave next week that when I come home that everything is going to be okay."
"Lex...."
"I'm sick of this Carli. It's so hard seeing you like this and not be able to do anything to cheer you up. You want to be alone fine but just remember I'm always going to be your daughter. If you want to talk I'll be at the field practicing for tryouts and you're more than welcome to join me."
Before she could say anything else I stormed out of the room and into the kitchen. Dad gave me a sad smile and I ran over and hugged him.
"Thank you for saying that."
"It's no problem dad. I just miss my mom." He nodded and turned back to what he was doing. "Come to dinner tonight. Mum's cooking. She can come if she wants but I want you there. I'll see you later."
"I would love to. Bye Lex." I waved and walked out of the house. I pulled out my phone and called mom.
Mom- Hey. How's it going?
Me- I went all mother mode on her and gave her a talk.
Mom- Lex....
Me- I know. Not my brightest idea. I'm heading to the field for a while. I need to clear my head. Dads coming to dinner so I'll see you then.
Mom- Okay. Stay safe alright and I'll see you soon. I love you.
Me- I love you too. Bye.
I hung up just as I arrived at the field. I went into the locker room and grabbed everything I needed. I set up a course around the field and grabbed the bag of balls and spread them everywhere. I put on my cleats and ran a lap for warmup. I was halfway through and controlling drill when I saw someone walking towards me. I didn't know who it was but as they got closer I saw the US logo. It was Momma. I passed a ball and said nothing. We went through all the drills without a word. We took a break after an hour or so and drank water. I could feel her staring at me. I looked up and saw her big brown eyes full of sorry and hurt. I scooted over to her and pulled her into a hug. I felt her crying and I pulled her into my chest. I kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back.
"Hey hey hey I'm here now. I'm glad you came. I needed to know you were okay."
"I guess I needed more than I thought Lex."
"Hey it's alright. I'm here now and I'm never leaving. Cmon lets set all you pinned up free with the balls."
She left out and a chuckle and my smile grew bigger. I stood up and helped her up. I brushed all the dirt off myself and she did the same. We walked over to the goals arm in arm laughing. I missed this. Just me and momma. Being our normal selfs doing what we love the most. We shot some balls and every one of them went in. We worked on corners and crosses from both sides of the field. It was a very productive session I must say. I ran over to my phone and saw the time. I mentally cursed and packed up everything.
"We're late for dinner. Cmon." I roared at momma. She collected all the balls and I collected all the cones. When we were finished we our way back to the house. When we arrived we saw dads car and another unfamiliar car. I looked at Momma confused and she just shrugged and walked in.
"Hello. We're here." I roared and seconds later mom and mum came running through the door engulfing us in hugs. I heard dad laugh at us and I got out of mums grip and walked over to him. I stood in front of him and he had the biggest smile on his face. He hugged me and put my head against his chest and felt his heart beating.
"Thank you Lex. You made her happy again."
"I just missed having her around." I looked over at Momma and saw her looking at us smiling. Mom and mum were checking her for god knows what. "She's back now. We'll be okay. She'll be okay."
I looked back up at dad and wiped his cheek. He chuckled and I kissed his cheek. I walked into the kitchen and saw Christie sitting there with her daughters and Abby. Ash and Ali were there too.
"CHRISTIE!" I yelled and ran to give her a hug. She laughed and spun me around.
"Hey kid. I missed you."
"I missed you too. Hey girlies." I said hugging the two girls and tickling them. They giggled and I laughed. I stood up and walked over to Abby.
"Hey kid."
"Hi Abby."
"How you holding up?"
"I'm happy. I've got my family back." I whispered in her ear looking over at Ash and Ali.
"Go. I'll catch up with you later kid." I kissed her cheek and hugged her again. I walked over to Ash and Ali. They didn't notice me so I walked away. I walked over to the two girls and brought them up to my room to play. I put on Netflix for them and we built a fort and watched it in there. We decorated it with fairy lights and put blankets and pillows everywhere. They both fell asleep half way through Frozen. I smiled and tucked them in and went downstairs.
"Where are the girls?" Christie asked.
"Asleep. They looked too comfortable to wake so I left them be"
"Thanks Lex. They must of been wrecked." I nodded to her and walked over to mom because she was giving me a glare. I sat next to her and she turned to face me. I looked up at her but I could feel someone staring at me.
"What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" I asked looking at her. She smiled and shook her head.
"No. Not at all. I just wanted to sit with you. You did a great job today Lex. I'm so proud."
"It was nothing. All I did was say what we've all been wanting to say. I just feel bad for being so harsh but it worked so I'll eventually get over it." I looked over to Momma and saw her laughing with Christie, Abby and mum. I smiled at the sight. "She's happy now and that's all that matters."
"I love you Lex. You are one of a kind." I liked back and her and smiled. She hugged me and I hugged her back. She leaned back and sat next to me. I put my head on her shoulder. She took my hand in hers and put her head on mine. Mum looked over and smiled at us. I looked over to Ali and Ash. They were sitting on either side of the couch not making any contact. I sat up from mom and looked at her.
"What's happening with them?"
"Ash is being Ash and Ali is pissed. I'm going to set up the dinner." She stood up and I walked over to the two. I grabbed both their arms and dragged them out of the house with me. I stopped and turned to face them. They weren't even facing each other. I moaned and looked between the both of them. I ran my fingers through my hair thinking of an idea. I sigh and looked at Ali. Her eyes were puffy so she must have been crying and Ash's veins were visible on her arms. She was fidgeting so I knew she was angry about something.
"Alright. You two better listen to me because I am not in the mood. I am leaving next week for god knows how long. I just got Carli out of bed this morning for the first time in two weeks and made her smile in what felt like an eternity. God it was the best feeling ever. And then when I get here my happiness grows because ye are all here. We are a whole family again. And then I see ye two talking on the corner and don't even say hi. I was in the house for nearly two hours and you still haven't said hello or anything. How am I suppose to leave knowing my family is happy when you two can't stand to even look at each other for probably the most stupidest reason ever."
"Lex this is serious." Ali barely choked out before bursting out in tears. I looked at Ash and gave her a glare. She returned it and turned around.
"Someone once told me not to run away from your problems but to face them. You said that to me. Why are you running? Your best friend is slowly on the verge of a breakdown and you're running. You are just like Hope. She ran and ran but eventually they got caught up with her. Ashlyn you can't keep running so stop now before it gets worse. Please. If not for Ali then for me. Please I need you more than you know." I whispered the last past hoping she wouldn't hear it but she did and so did Ali. Ash turned around and I saw the hurt in eyes. Ali walked over to me and took my hand in hers. I was staring at Ash and didn't notice Ali until I felt her hand. I looked down at our hands and then up at her. She looked so hurt and broken. I felt my eyes filling with tears and gave her a small smile. I looked back over at Ash only to see she was gone. I squeezed Ali's hand tight and looked back at her. She had her eyes closed with tears streaming down her face. I heard the door open and Abby and mum appeared. Mum ran to Ali's side and Abby came over to mine. She put her hand on my shoulder and gave it a slight shake. I looked up at her and then at Ali. She was after breaking down.
"I can't be here. I'll be back in a while." Before I could walk away I felt someone grab my arm. I turned and saw Ali.
"Don't. Please don't leave me. I need you more than anyone now." I looked down at my feet and then back up at Ali. I took a step towards her and there wasn't very much space between us. I was nearly taller than her at this stage. I pulled her into a hug and squeezed her tight. I put one hand on the back of her head and the other was rubbing her back. She was trembling against my body from crying and my heart broke.
"Sh. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I'll always only be a call and flight away. Just call and I'll be home. Everything is going to be okay. I promise you everything will be okay." I whispered. I looked up and saw Ashlyn with mom by her side. She was crying and she looked so fragile. She was looking down and hugging her arms. She looked up and I gave her small smile. I stretched one arm out and gestured her to come over. She was reluctant at first but Ali turned and faced her and she saw how broke she was. She came over and wrapped us in one big hug. I let go and left them. I walked over to mom and she wrapped me in a hug. She wiped the tears away and led my inside. We went up to her room and she sat with me on the bed. She put me on her lap and rocked me back and forth.
"I could've lost them all. I risked everything."
"I know. It was a brave thing you did today. I'm so proud of you."
"I don't think I'll everyone able to go through anything like this ever again. I'm barely holding on these days."
"And that's why I'm here. If you fall I'm here to pick you up. I love you Lex."
"I love you too mom."
She kissed my head and we stayed like this until we heard mum calling saying dinner was ready. I reluctantly sat up and we walked back down to the kitchen. Everyone was sitting around the table and looked at me when we walked in. Mom took my hand in hers and gave it a squeeze. She bent down so she whisper in my ear.
"You're the reason as to why we are all happy. Don't forget that." I looked up at her and she smiled. I walked over to mum and kissed her cheek. I sat on the opposite side of the of Ali,Ash,Christie and Abby. I sat in between mom and momma. They both kept looking at me while I played with my food. Momma put her hand on my leg. I looked to her and she smiled.
"What's up kiddo?"
"Nothing."
"Lex..."
"I'm fine really. Excuse me." I got up and put my chair back under the table. I picked up my plate and put it in the fridge. I walked up to my room and closed the door. I got my phone and put my headphones in and listened to music. I put up my net and worked on my touches. After a while I got tired. I got into the shower and stood there. I heard the bathroom door open and shut and then footsteps.
"Lex we need to talk."
"Mum can't this wait until I'm not in the shower?"
"Nope. Why did you just walk out of dinner like that?"
"Hand me the towel please. Thanks." I put my hand out and she handed me the towel and I wrapped it around me. I got out and was dripping wet. "I wasn't hungry."
"Are you sure that's the only reason?"
"Yes mum. Now if you don't mind I'd like to get changed."
She sighed but got up and walked out. I got changed quickly and walked to my room only to find Momma sitting on my bed on her phone. I coughed and she looked up at me.
"Hey."
"Hi."
"I just wanted to check if you were okay."
"I'm fine."
"Lex don't do that."
"Do what?"
"Lie. Saying you're fine when you're not. Cmon talk to me."
"I don't know what's wrong. I'm just pissed that Ash made Ali feel like that. But I feel proud."
"Odd mix of feelings there hunny. Why do you feel proud?"
"Because you wouldn't be here talking to me if I didn't bother talking to you this morning. I guess that I just miss you."
"I'm sorry I wasn't there Lex. I really am. How could I ever repay you?"
"You already have. You laughed and smiled today and that's all I asked for." I walked over and sat next to her and rested my head on her shoulder. "I got my mom back. I'm happy. You're happy." She kissed my head and wrapped an arm around me.
"I love you."
"I love you too."
"They're watching a movie downstairs. Cmon and sit next to me. Brian's gone because he has to work tomorrow. And no not because he wants too it's just because an inspector is coming but he'll be home once the inspector is gone." She reached out her hand and I took it. We walked downstairs to the living room and saw everyone snuggled on all the couches. There was a free one so Momma and I sat there. I was lying on top of her and she ran her fingers through my hair and wrapped her other arm across my waist. That was the last thing I remember because falling asleep.