Chapter 54.

Seven months later:

Ali's POV

Today is the day we've all been dreading. Everyone is here, gathered in the living room in complete silence while silently crying. This time she's gone. Really gone. I slowly stand up and everyone looks at me. I let out a shaky breath and shake my head at let the tears fall. I quickly run out to the back of the house. I walked down to the tree and sat on the swing. I closed my eyes and imagined Lex sitting next to me like all those times before. I leaned my head against the rope and looked at the tree. There was carvings all over it with the initials of everyone from our family. I slowly got off the swing and ran my fingers of the wood. I walked around tracing my fingers along as I walked.

Flashback three months ago...

"Ali?"
"Yes?"
"We should make a pact."
"What kind of pact?"
"That if one of us die sooner than we thought we might we have to leave marks behind for one another."
"That sounds like a plan."
"Good."

I nodded and wrapped my arm around Lex's shoulder. We leaned further against the tree watching the sun set. We started a bon fire earlier and all the girls had joined us while watching the sun set and telling jokes and stories. We made s'mores and drank coffee or hot chocolate.

"We should leave a mark here."
"What do you mean Tobs?"
"We should carve all our initials into the tree."
"I think that's a great idea. I'll get my pocket knife from inside."

We all laughed as Kelley jumped up off of Hope and ran towards the house. She returned moments later skipping. We all signed our initials and took a step back looking at our work. I smiled and hugged Ash around the waist and she kissed the top of my head. I looked over and saw Lex standing away from everyone smiling. I walked over to her and she smiled at me.

"Why are you smiling so much?"
"Because my plan worked."
"What plan?"
"That I've prepared you all for after I die."

When she said that everyone turned and walked over to us the smiles changing to frowns and confused expressions.

"What do you mean by that?"
"I know now that I can die knowing that'll support each other afterwards. You'll all help each other push through it just like old times when I wasn't apart of any of your lives. Ye're family first and teammates second. You always have and always will be."
"You're really something special Lex. You really are."
"I take after my amazing family. Especially my five amazing mothers."

We all chuckled and went for a bear hug. Afterwards everyone started filling back into the house but Lex stayed behind looking up at the stars. I walked over and stood next to her. I looked up towards the sky and closed my eyes. I felt her take my hand and I looked down into her eyes.

"I'll be the stars to your night."
"That was so cheesy."
"Hey! I thought it was cute."
"Sorry Al."

I smiled and kissed the top of her head. She let out a sigh and rested her head against my shoulder.

"Is this why you asked to make a pact?"
"Yes. Al, you and I both know I don't have long left."
"Hey miracles can happen."
"Not to me Al. My time here is coming to an end and I've accomplished everything I sought out for except one thing."
"Which is?"
"Marry the girl of my dreams. I haven't seen or heard from her since she left. It's been nearly eight months."
"I know baby girl. She probably doesn't know how to handle the pressure. I'm sure she'll come around."
"I haven't lost hope yet."
"That's my girl. Now come on inside because I'm freezing."

We chuckled and headed back inside to the girls. We went into the sitting room just as they started a movie.

End of flashback...

I looked up towards the sky and let out a sigh.

"I wasn't ready Lex. I'm still not. I really wish you were still here. We all do but I know you're at peace now. That's all I want, for you to be at peace. I love you and miss you so much."

A beam of sun shone through the leaves. I looked up and saw something stuck in there. I grabbed a stick and poked it down. It fell right at my feet. I smiled when I saw it was a letter with Lex's writing on it. I slowly opened it.

Dear Ali,

If you're reading this then I'm probably gone and I'm sorry I left you but please know that I'm at peace now. The pain is all gone and that's all I have wanted for the last months. Now, I wrote this letters a few days ago after waking up from a dream that I had. The reason as to why I have been so happy and cheerful lately is because like I said at the bonfire, I can leave knowing y'all will be there for each other. My time here has come to an end and I've accomplished everything. Even though Mal still hasn't called. Now remember the pact we made? Well here's to first clue. Go to where you and I love to get our coffee. Bring the girls along with you because there's something at the end for all of them. There awaits your next clue. I love you Ali. I'll be watching over you.
Yours sincerely,
Lex.

I smiled and folded the letter. I walked back inside to the living room. All the girls looked up at me with such sadness in their eyes. My smile didn't fade.

"Get changed into something comfortable. We're going on a hunt."
"Al, we love you and all, but I just buried my daughter."
"It's her idea."

I handed Hope the letter. She read it and handed it back tonne in disbelief. She stood up and clapped her hands together.

"You heard the Krieger. Cmon."

Everyone got up and went upstairs to get changed. I pulled out the envelope again and found something else in it. I pulled out a small piece of paper with something written on it. "Ring Kyle." I pulled out my phone and pressed on his contact. I pressed the call button and waited for him to pick up.