Chapter 27 : Giant steps and just plain giants

More allegiance shifts…for the common good and for the better.  Gwen starts turning her plan into action, but how will she deal with this ‘giant’ undertaking?  “Sweet Mary…Mother of Pearl!”

Chapter 27 : Giant steps and just plain giants

 “How are you all doing with your spell work?” Tonks asked, as she sat cross-legged on the teacher’s desk, facing the D.A.  She had just returned from London , after two months at the Ministry.

 “We’re meeting at every opportunity and we’ve been working on casting our spells without saying the incantations aloud.  No use using the ‘Disillusionment ’ charm if you’re going to shout out the spell; kind of spoils the element of surprise,” Harry informed her, with a grin and a wink. 

 “Just a bit,” Tonks laughed.  “And how’s targeting?”

 “We’ve discovered who is dead on, every time, and who are just down right deadly, speed wise.  So, we’ve made up two teams: one for fighting the Inferi with whatever ‘secret ammo’ Fred and George have concocted and a team for fighting the Death Eater invasion.  We’ve also found out who can cast a really strong ‘Patronus ’ so there will be a third group in case the Dementors also show up.  Otherwise, they will join the other two groups as re-enforcements.”

 “Excellent!”

 The door of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom opened and Fred and George entered, each carrying a box.

 “Speak of the devils,” smiled Tonks, who hopped off the desk to make space for the delivery.

 “Hey! We were just talking about you two,” called Ron.

 “Nothing good, I’m assuming,” replied George, as he walked toward the front of the classroom.

 “Actually, we were wondering . . . . ” But Ron stopped in mid-sentence when Draco and then Theo entered, both carrying a box, followed by Dumbledore, who closed the door. “What’s he . . . . ”sputtered Ron, but stopped when Hermione grabbed his arm and shook her head.

 “Good evening everyone.”  The Headmaster looked around, smiling.   “Do you mind if we join you?”

 “Sorry I’m late,” added Draco, “but something came up.  You all know Theo.”

 “Yeah, we do . . . . so to what do we owe the honor of your presence, Nott?”  Neville stepped in front of Theo, took the box from him, setting it down on the desk and then turning to face the obviously nervous member of Slytherin House.

 “I’ve . . . . well, I’ve decided to follow Draco’s example . . . . I’m not going to join  . . . . V . . . . Vol . . . . Voldemort.   My old man may be crazy enough to do what his Master orders, but not me.  I would rather stay here at Hogwarts . . . . and help you all . . . . if I can . . . . I . . . . well . . . . that is, if you’ll let me . . . . I . . . . ”  Theo stumbled to a halt.

 “Why the sudden change of heart?” Hannah Abbott asked, walking over to Theo and gazing at him steadily.

 Theo gulped, taking a step back, looking around.

 “My . . . . my Mum wrote . . . . it seems Father is determined to take me to be marked . . . . .over Spring holiday and join the Death Eaters.  I would wind up fighting against you all and I don’t want to do that . . . . I won’t do that.”

 “Was your father involved in the attack at St. Mungo’s?”  Neville asked quietly.

 Theo turned to face him, and nodded.  “Yes.  I’m sorry, Longbottom.”