3. Escape

CHAPTER 3:

SKYLAR'S POV

"Nick please let go!" His hands tightly squeezed both arms once we got inside the small dusty apartment. It was much messier than Harry's and it didn't have s fireplace or the faint smell of cinnamon lingering in the air.

"No you little bitch! Who was that guy and why were you with him?" Alcohol soaked his breath and his harsh brown—almost black eyes—stared me down.

"I-I just met him! Nothing happened okay! He gave me a ride here that's all I promise" He let go and pushed me in to the wall. The hard sheetrock caused my head to throb even more than it already was.

"Maybe you shouldn't leave without me next time." He threatened stepping closer to me. Nick's cold fingers traced my lips and I started crying again. I am so weak and I wanted nothing more than to just fight him and hurt him like he hurts me.

"Did he touch you?" I didn't answer because my whole body was numb with fear "Answer me!" I started shaking my head no and I broke eye contact staring at the floor.

When I moved to London out of New York I met Nick and we started talking. We have been dating for 2 years and somewhere along the way he started getting violent. He just wants sex and other things that I won't give him so he just abuses me. But he provides food and a place for me to stay so I can handle things like this time to time.

His were demonic, crazed, terrifying. I looked back down at my hand and tried being gentle but it was just broken. Or at least that's how it felt.

"Come on Skylar you look tired let's go to bed" I nodded and went in to the bedroom taking off my dress. He pushed me on the bed and I couldn't move under him. His tongue roamed my mouth but I couldn't bring myself to kiss back.

"Why won't you kiss back?!" He yelled making me flinch. "Baby make love to me" I closed my eyes praying this was just a bad dream. His voice was calming now and if I didn't do it now, things like this would just keep happening.

"O-Okay but please don't hurt me" I was so nervous but this day was going to come eventually. He slipped his shirt off then his pants and so forth. Nick climbed on the bed next to me kissing my neck and ripping my underwear off. Literally tearing the fabric.

"Now why would you think I'd hurt you. I love you. Skylar I'm sorry for hurting you" I took a deep breath and then he had his way with me. I bit my lip and just waited for it to be over.

"Nick can we stop please" He threw himself off of me and sat up. I swear there was fume coming out of his ears.

"What the hell is your problem? I do everything for you and you can't do one thing for me?" He yelled.

"It's not that it just hurts okay?" I covered myself with the covers and hoped he'd understand but he wouldn't. He slipped his boxers on and ran out of the room. I wanted nothing more than to call Harry and have him come get me. Nick came back angrier than before.

I drowned his voice out but I saw his lips moving and the only thing I heard was noise. I sat up then felt a sharp pain on my cheekbone. I wasn't even phased. Nick hit me again but then I just felt my body give out. My head hit the pillow and my vision went black.

***

The sound of Nick's footsteps woke me up but I kept my eyes closed when I heard him talking on the phone.

"No I didn't kill her!

She's sleeping.

Yeah I'm heading to work now.

I don't know.

She'll wake up probably invite some guy over who cares I got what I want.

What do you think?" I heard his sinister laugh. They were talking about me. Nick's footsteps became more distant and then I heard the door slam. I let out a sigh. He was gone. But only for a matter of time. My legs were weak and my abdomen was sore. My left cheekbone hurt so badly.

I stared at my pathetic body in the mirror. My hair was so tangled I don't know if I could fix it. Hickeys trailed my neck and my chest. My wrists had slight bruises on them. My face was the worse though. Purple and black splotches coated my cheekbone and my blue eyes were bloodshot. Dark circles drooped under my eyes and makeup was still everywhere.

I turned on the shower and waited until steam filled the whole bathroom. The water felt good on my skin washing off all the dirt and pain. My muscles relaxed and I could have a break from my crazy life. I washed my hair and my face and my body then stood there a little longer wondering if I could escape today while Nick was at work. I can't live like this anymore.

I stepped out of the shower and dried off. Walking to my closet, flashbacks of last night flooded through my mind. I checked my phone and it was noon. I wish I had Harry's number. He was the first person to seem to care about me.

I slipped on a thin pair of leggings and a white sweater. Going back inside the bathroom, I blow dried my hair and applied some makeup to cover up the glaring bruise on my face. I put on a thick layer of concealer and surprisingly I looked fine. Someone knocked on the door making me jump. If it was Nick then he would just walk in so who is it? I tiptoed towards the door and heard a familiar voice.

"Skylar?" Harry. It was Harry. I didn't want to be happy but I was. I opened the door and he looked worried.

"What are you doing here?" My voice was shaky. I didn't want him to get upset with me for last night.

"I had to come check on you after last night. Are you okay? What happened to your face?" He stepped closer grazing his fingers across my cheek. Even the slightest touch hurt. I thought the makeup covered it up, but evidently not well enough. I winced and backed away which only caused Harry to push his way through the door.

"Um nothing I-I fell" I avoided eye contact but I could feel his eyes looking me up and down.

"Did your boyfriend do this to you?" Harry was angry and I couldn't deal with any more angry men around me.

"Please Harry just calm down I can't deal with you too" His green eyes sparkled and I was entranced in them.

"Answer me" He said firmly. I played with my hair trying to figure out what to say.. "Are these marks on your wrists from him too?"

"It's fine Harry I promise" I was embarrassed about last night and I didn't want Harry seeing how weak I am.

"I don't want you living with him" I was conflicted because I just met him last night. He didn't know what was best for me at all.

"You don't even know my whole name! You can't protect me or tell me where to live!" I shouted.

"I know Skylar but if your boyfriend's doing this to you I know what happens next" Little does he know it already happened..

"Really Harry what happens next?"

"Don't make me say it" His jaw was clenched and his breathing was no longer steady.

"Say it Harry. If you really think you know everything"

"He's going to rape you! He's going to hurt you and destroy you I can promise you that! I know how this works! He's already hurt you what's stopping him from doing this?" In this moment I just needed him to wrap his arms around me and tell me it was going to be okay even though I barely knew him.

"Well it already happened okay! And I'm fine so can we just stop talking about it? You have to go you can't be here. Nick will get home soon" His jaw dropped then clenched together again in anger.

"I know we don't know each other but I don't want this to keep happening. I care about you Skylar whether you believe it or not. Please just come with me. I'm not leaving without you" His voice cracked and I gave in. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop Nick now.

"Okay I will." It was the best decision for me I couldn't stay here anymore.