25. Red

CHAPTER 25:

Steam hovered in the air before disappearing as the curling wand burned my hair. My palms were clammy from nerves, but Harry reassured me that everything would go smoothly. I had to be prepared to talk with the journalists, famous people, and his mom and sister. It was the ladder I was worried about the most. Journalists seemed the least of my worries when I found out his family would be there, I can't say I'm surprised but it just didn't even cross my mind. Harry hasn't really talked about his mom or sister, it was odd. The beautiful red dress reflected the sunlight and I was so glad I splurged on it. I let my hair sit in tight curls while I started my makeup.

Sitting at my vanity, I was prepared to do the neatest, full on makeup I have ever cared to do. Most people probably will have their makeup professionally done, therefore I have to look perfect. I gently dabbed my beauty blender covered with foundation all over my face, relishing in the satisfaction it brought me covering up my redness and uneven skin tone. With my new laptop, I found myself exploring the beauty community on youtube, so I did everything I'd imagine Jaclyn Hill or Jeffree Star doing. I also had to cover up a couple marks on my chest because the dress didn't come up very high. I throughly applied concealer with the stick applicator under my eyes allowing the dark circles to vanish. Smoothing it all out, I set everything with the Chanel setting powder. I heavily bronzed my face and neck so I didn't look like a ghost, then moved on to eyes, saving blush and highlighter for later. 

Filling in my eyebrows, I was new at this since I already had darker hair and eyebrows. I only fixed the shape, not wanting to look like I used a sharpie. I brushed them in place then searched for my new eyeshadow palette. It still smelled so new and sterile. I tried my best to end with a flawlessly blended smoky eye and it wasn't bad actually. I glossed over my eyelids with a light shimmery shade. The silence in my room accompanied by sole focus on my makeup was therapeutic and I felt myself growing more confident. Whatever happens happens and hopefully Harry will accept me, no matter what other people think of me. The time was already 5:30 and I had been getting ready since 3. 

Last time I was downstairs, Harry and I were watching Polar Express while chefs and bar tenders came in and out of the house smuggling bottles of liquor and different food items. Harry was surprisingly involved in making sure the house looked perfect. Last night I went around cleaning the floors and furniture making sure everything was spectacular. I lit about four candles around the house, each with a different holiday smell. Guests would start arriving at 6, I needed to hurry but I couldn't rush liquid eyeliner. The black paint terrified me and I worked so hard on my eyeshadow, but I carefully drew two thin lines above my eyelashes. I decided not to do a wing, not wanting to risk a mistake. The simple lines were so small they weren't even noticeable, but they did wonders for dragging out the blue in my eyes. I carefully applied mascara then received a text. 

You're taking forever the party starts soon.

Harry was getting impatient, but people are fashionably late anyway. It was 5:46 now and I quickly applied blush then a dash of highlight. Last was lipstick. I usually don't apply dark colored lipstick, but I wanted to be bold and go with a red that would match my dress. I was cautious about how bright it would be or if it would clash too much, so I tried it yesterday just in case. Gently lining my lips with a pencil, I reminded myself of my mother. As a child, I always wondered why she used a pencil on her face. She always looked perfect. Her bone structure could have made her a model and her skin glowed even when she was sick. My phone buzzed again snapping me out of the memory.

Skylarrrr I can't face the people alone.

I'll be down in a minute they won't get here right at 6.

People are already pulling up

I ran to the window and saw limos lined one after another. I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a deep breath. Sitting back at my vanity, I completed my makeup with a few swipes of the glossy and intense red lipstick. I sprayed my face with setting spray, quickly fanning myself to dry it. I ran a comb gently through my curls tugging them to form waves. Running through my hair with my fingers I fluffed it up, proud of myself for working so hard on my hair and makeup. I looked the best I think I ever have. Definitely needed to take pictures tonight. Checking the window again, people were walking out of the limo. Many were covered in coats as it was getting colder with the sunset.