Ch.8: In a Tree

Legolas's pov

"Legolas are you alright?" My Ada asks me. I frown in thought.

"Ada, shouldn't we have a special guard for Gollum?" I ask. He nods slowly and thoughtfully.

"Yes, we probably should. Any suggestions?" He asks.

"I could do it." I suggest. He glares at me.

"No!" He barks. "You already risk your life enough as it is!" I narrow my eyebrows.

"But how can I show everyone that I want to protect them and protect our home if you don't let me do anything!" I shout at him. "At least let me do more with the guard!" His eyes are full of anger and he towers over me.

"I will not let anything happen to my son!" He yells. I send his a furious glance.

"But I will not leave the safety of Mirkwood to just the guard! I'm going to help them!" I hiss as I march out of his room and into the hallway. I run down it and race into my own quarters. I grab my bow and quiver, along with two swords and some knives. I bolt down the hallway and eventually out of the palace, and I do not stop until I am deep into the forest, and even then I am slowly jogging, trying to erase all the anger inside me. Why was he so overprotective of me? Why couldn't he let me help and do what I want? Didn't be realize how selfish it was that he kept me safe in the palace, with the guard outside potentially risking their lives to protect us?

Sighing, I find a large tree and climb up to one of its branches. I sit and lean my head on it's trunk. I stay there for a long time, until I hear a noise below me. I look down and see Glynn walking through the underbrush. She sits at the base of the tree I'm sitting in. She does not seem to notice me. I watch closely her eyes dart from side to side, looking for any sign of danger. It is now that I realize how seriously she takes her job. I remember the look of panic in her eyes when she told me about Mirkwood being unguarded. She meant business.

Suddenly an acorn on the branch above me breaks lose and falls to the ground. It lands right in front of Glynn. I pray that she does not look up. I grit my teeth in anticipation. She smiles.

"I don't have to look up to know you're up there, Legolas." She says.