Ch.32: You Were Right

Thranduil's pov 

I sit at my desk in my chambers looking over some of the daily reports. Suddenly the door flies open and an upset Legolas bursts through the door. I quickly stand up, causing my chair to squeak loudly against the wooden floor.

"What is it ion nin?" I ask, concerned. "Are you alright?" A single tear slides down his cheek as he forces his gaze to meet mine.

"You were right Ada, you were right!" He wails. I reach out and hug my son. It felt just like yesterday when I was able to pick his tiny body up and hold him in my arms. But now he is grown up. I feel my own eyes mist up slightly at the thought of how much he has grown and learned over the years. I also feel his pain. His loss. A feeling that still consumes me to this day. Legolas sobs into my chest muttering words that I can not make out. I stroke his long blonde hair carefully.

"Ion nin, speak to me." I say gently. "What happened?" He pulls away from my embrace and wipes his eye.

"She rejected me." He mumbles. I narrow my eyebrows.

"Did I not warn you ion nin?" I ask, smiling sadly. Anger fills his eyes as he frowns.

"Shut up!" He shrieks. I take a step back from him, my own anger burning inside me.

"Do not speak to your father like that!" I shout. "Not to mention your king!" He glares maliciously at me, so harshly that I almost feel scared. Legolas has always been so positive and when he gets upset it gets so negative.

"It does not matter who you are!" He yells. "I could care less if you were my father! I hate you!" I feel the hate in his words hit me like an arrow. The amount of malice in his tone makes my whole heart deflate. He really means it. He does hate me.

"I am leaving Mirkwood and don't you dare try to stop me!" He growls through gritted teeth and a tear stained face. And then he bolts out the door, leaving me standing with a hurt heart and worry. The door slams and I fall backwards into my chair, filled with too much shock and fear to be angry. My son left me. I have never felt so alone. Now I have lost my wife and my son. I am truly alone.