Ch.15: The Rangers

Glynnii's pov

"Thallan!" I exclaim. "Thallan!" I rush over to him in front of the palace. He raises an eyebrow.

"What's wrong Glynn?" He asks.

"There was a rider at the northern border, at the river! They charged at me, but I threw a knife at them and they fell but they left Mirkwood before I could see who they were, I'm sorry Thallan!" I cry. Thallan puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Calm down Glynn." He soothes. "Now tell me slowly what happened." I take a deep breath.

"I was on guard at the northern border, at the river." I explain. "And when my shift ended, there was a cloaked rider, and they crossed the river. They charged at me, but before they could get to me, I threw a knife at them, hitting them in the heart, and they fell off the horse and ran out of Mirkwood before I could get to them." Thallan's eyes narrow.

"Another attack?" He questions, I think mainly to himself. "Thank you Glynn, I shall make sure we get reinforcements and more patrols there as soon as possible." He puts his hand on my should. "Go get some food, rest, whatever you need."

I nod and walk into the palace, I go into the kitchen where I grab some food and I walk into the dining room, where the three Rangers are eating. I sit down alone, at the opposite end of the table. The one Ranger looks down at me with curious eyes. He has wavy shoulder length hair and soft brown eyes. 

"I've seen you somewhere." He says. I stop eating and look up at his eyes.

"I am the part of the guard who originally found you," I take another bite of food. "And I put you in your dungeon cell." He nods.

"Ah, yes." He replies. He stares at the table for a few seconds and then looks back up at me. "I'm Aragorn but you can also call me Strider, if you prefer." He nods to the girl and the other man. "And that's Aleit and Torvaenn."

"I'm Glynn." I say softly. He smiles slightly at me.

"So you're part of the guard?" He asks.

"Yes." I respond. I am not one to talk to people. I only usually speak unless I am spoken and even then it's very minimum. There was a quick moment of awkward silence before Aragorn spoke once more.

"So are you friends with Legolas?" He questions. I feel my heart sink at his name. I set down my fork, suddenly not interested in eating.

"Yes." I answer. "But did you not hear what happened?" Aragorn raises an eyebrow. "Legolas has been shot." Aragorn looks shocked. "He is still alive and hopefully recovering. The healers are doing to best they can to get him better." I explain.

"Who shot him?" Aragorn demands.

"Orcs. They attacked the two of us and there was only a few left, when one Orc was trying to shoot me, which I did no see, I was preoccupied with another Orc, and Legolas pushed me out of the way and got shot..." My voice falters at the end. Aragorn stares at me.

"That was very brave of him." He comments. "He must really care about you." I feel heat rise to my cheeks, and I manage a small nod.

"Yes." I say, my voice very audible. "He must care about me very much."