Ch.29: Understanding

Legolas's pov

"How's your wound?" Glynn asks me as we walk hand in hand through the depths of Mirkwood. My hand moved to my chest and I feel a small pang of pain.

"Better." I respond, not knowing what else to say. It is a beautiful day, with clear blue skies and bright sunlight. A soft wind flutters emerald leaves around, making them move like the waves of an ocean.

"It was bad," She tells me, a pained expression on her face. "I was there when the healers were taking the arrow out. I didn't know if you were going to make it."

I clutch her hand tighter. "But I am here and healing." I say, smiling at her. She nods and returns the smile.

"Ada and I have found an neutral understanding." I tell her. "He agrees that he needs to participate more, but I need to be a little more careful."

Glynn laughs slightly, the sunlight illuminating her beautiful face. "Yes, especially when you are still recovering." We walk a tad farther into the woods before Glynn tells me that she needs to head back to her post.

"How is Gollum?" I question as we walk back to Thranduil's Hall. She sighs.

"He is..." Her voice trails off.

"He is?" I ask. She frowns and narrows her eyes.

"It's hard to describe," She explains. "He's...unusual, to say the least." A gust of wind blows, drowning out her voice, and ruffling our hair everywhere. The trees dance against the force, their trunks swaying and branches waving at us. We both start laughing. We say nothing to each other as we reach the palace. I continue to walk beside her until we reach the dungeon.

Glynn smiles at me in front of Gollum's cell.

"Thank you Legolas," She says. I nod in response.

"What is it?" A squeaky voice hisses from inside the cell. I see a pair of glistening bloodshot eyes starring at me. Eyes that are full of sadness and confusion. I can't seem to break my gaze from Gollum. The poor creature, taken away from his home and thrown in a cell.

"Hello Gollum." I whisper. Glynn stares at me in shock.

"What are you doing?" She breathes.

"How does it know our name, precious?" Gollum asks. His blue eyes fill with more sadness. "Precious..." He whimpers. I take a step closer to the cell door. I want to pity him. I want to understand him. I want to free him. But Glynn grips my shoulder and turns me the opposite way.

"Thank you Legolas, you are no longer needed here."