Ch.18: Departure

Glynnii's pov

That is if he gets well, echoes through my brain as I escort Aragorn outside of the palace. He glances at me, concerned.

"Are you alright?" He questions. I nod, not wanting the Ranger to know how concerned I was for Legolas's health. We follow the path a little ways into Mirkwood and we stop when I see Thallan and Laeroth with the other two Rangers.

"You ready Aragorn?" Torvaenn asks. The Ranger nods and mounts the one empty horse.

"Thank you for coming, Rangers." Thallan proclaims. "We will make sure to protect Gollum as best as we possibly can." Aragorn smiles.

"I'm sure you will." He remarks. He holds up a hand in farewell and nods at me before turning and riding through the woods, with Aleit and Torvaenn following behind him. I watch until they disappear into the green landscape. Thallan moves closer to me.

"Glynn, can I talk to you?" He asks. I shoot him a glance.

"You already are." I reply with a slight smirk. He rolls his eyes.

"We've decided that we need someone to be in charge of Gollum, someone experienced," He explains. I could see where this was going. I hold up with hand.

"Let me guess, you want me to be in charge of him?" I infer. He let's out a a sigh.

"So will you do it?" He questions, a look of hope in his hazel eyes. My gaze wanders into the woods. The leaves moving in the wind, the creak of the tree trunks, the large amount of vegetation all seem to be calling me. But I knew I had to do as I was told, and Thallan was only asking me because we were friends, if it was anyone else he would order them. Thallan has been my friend for as long as I can remember. He's always been kind about giving me new positions and changes in the guard. A sudden thought hits me. If Legolas dies, would Thallan become leader of the guard? Yes. Then who would become the second in command? Probably Laeroth. That would change a lot. Thallan and I wouldn't get to talk as much, and we would grow farther apart. I hope that never happens.

"I'll do it." I reply. Relief spreads though Thallan's eyes. He hugs me briefly.

"Thank you Glynn." He sighs.

"It's nothing Thallan, anything to help out the guard." I tell him. He smiles at me.

"You never cease to amaze me." He comments.

"It's mainly for the safety of Mirkwood, Thallan, not for you." I remark as I walk back inside the palace.