twenty four

"Am I the only one who didn't know that we have off Wednesday?!" Brendon calls out as Tyler and Josh approach the lunch table on Monday, "I'm definitely not complaining, but since when do they completely drop school on Wednesday for Thanksgiving?"

"I don't like it," Josh disagrees, sitting one space away from the end of the table; the end of the table is always Tyler's seat, "I'd rather have that day off for Christmas break."

"Wait, are you saying that they took a day off from Christmas break?" Brendon asks incredulously, jaw dropping, and Tyler doesn't know if this is a genuine reaction or if Brendon's being over dramatic again.

"Yeah, we—"

"Fuck that!" Brendon's suddenly shouting, successfully startling Tyler and reeling in the attention of nearby students, "I'll skip and get my day back!"

"Don't interrupt me, motherfucker! And skipping won't get you your day back, wise guy," Josh teases, and Brendon scoffs as he pulls out his usual lunchtime milk and cookies.

"Shush, you. But are you guys leaving town for Thanksgiving? Having relatives come over?" Brendon asks, pulling the seal up and grabbing a cookie.

Josh speaks first, "I'm not even celebrating it."

"Huh? Why not?"

"Me and my family just don't care enough to," Josh says with a nonchalant shrug, but something tells Tyler that it's more than what Josh's letting on.

"Man, that sucks. What about you, Tyler?" Brendon asks, and Tyler just simply shrugs.  It's probably just gonna be him and Zack, making more food than they can eat just for the two of them, but he's perfectly content with that.

"Yeah. But what I'm gonna do is—"

<><><>

Mr. Liddell was planning on having the class watch a Roman documentary today during class, but that clearly wasn't going to be happening as he opened the DVD case and revealed some fucking ABC's shit.

"We all have my daughter to thank for that," Mr. Liddell had joked after sharing the news.

The teacher had also decided that since he had literally nothing else planned and that it's a couple days before break, that it could be a chill day—and Mr. Liddell had even put the fucking DVD on anyways as a joke.

A few of his classmates are sitting together, singing along to the alphabet songs the makers came up with, while others just fuck around on their phones, talk amongst themselves, sleep—some of his classmates honestly look fucking annoyed by their surroundings.

But fuck these kids, we wanna know what's up with Tyler and Josh, yeah?  

Tyler's pondering of something great—having Josh over for Thanksgiving. Tyler honestly believes that Zack shouldn't mind Josh's company, since—like previously mentioned—it'll be just the two of them, and they both make more than enough food.  He already shot his older brother a text, asking if he'd be okay with him inviting Josh.  

Zack replies a bit late because of work, but Zack gives him the okay to invite his friend.

And now Tyler feels nervous, because what if Josh doesn't wanna come over and turns him down?  He trusts Josh—he's just so afraid of rejection, and it takes him another ten or so minutes of risking glances in Josh's direction and trying to psych himself into just fucking inviting him, until Josh finally notices his friend's inner conflict.

"Hey, what's on your mind, Tyjo?" Josh asks, gentle and encouraging, and hey, if Josh rejects him he'll do it gently.

Fuck that doesn't help—

He's just asking Josh to spend Thanksgiving with him, why is he making this so fucking hard?  

"I-I, uh," Tyler stammers as he tries to force the words out of his mouth, and Tyler ducks his head, tugging furiously at the hem of his hoodie.

"It's okay," Josh speaks again, and a moment later, he's handing his phone to the timid boy, the notes app open with a blank note, "Type it if you can't say it."

Tyler takes the device from his friend, keeping it simple as he types out the offer before handing it back to Josh.  

Josh reads it before speaking again, "Yeah, sounds sick!"

Tyler picks his head up, and he's met with a smile from his friend, which he shyly returns.