thirty two

Tyler wakes up only half an hour later when Zack shakes his shoulder.  The younger boy's face is still damp from laying on his own tear-soaked pillow, and he just feels really gross after his pity session.  He looks to his older brother, noticing his blotchy cheeks and red eyes, and it's safe to assume that Zack has been crying as well.

"I'm sorry," Tyler croaks out, but Zack only shakes his head sadly.

"No, it's alright, you didn't mean to," Zack assures his younger brother, gesturing for him to sit up.  Tyler complies, and Zack pulls him into a hug that Tyler instantly relaxes in.

"But Melanie gave you that ornament, it was special to you," Tyler weeps against Zack's shoulder, and the older man shushes him gently.

"It's not the only thing she's given me, it's alright," Zack pushes Tyler away from him enough to smile at him, "Smile for Z-bro?"

Tyler forces on a smile, but Zack doesn't seem to notice as his own smile widens.

"Come on, we have leftovers to eat," the older man says as he gets up, tugging Tyler up with him.

<>

Zack's phone starts ringing during dinner, disrupting the peaceful silence they were previously eating in, and Zack puts his fork down to answer the call.

"Hello?"

Tyler tries not to eavesdrop as he pokes at the food on his plate, still upset from what happened earlier, despite Zack reassuring him that he's not upset about it anymore numerous times.

"Uh, yeah, I've been pretty decent, how about you?" Zack speaks after a short moment, and the muffled voice on the other end of the line begins speaking again.

"No, no, he's been really good," Zack says, glancing to Tyler, so the younger boy automatically assumes they're now talking about him and pays more attention to the conversation the best he can.  I mean, isn't he justified in doing so?

"We were probably just gonna hang out."

Pause.  Zack's brows furrow, still watching Tyler thoughtfully.

"What are you saying..?"

Pause.  Zack seems surprised now.

"Uh—yeah, okay—"

The muffled voice cuts him off, and he looks annoyed because of it, but doesn't make it known to the caller as he sits and listens.

"Yeah, okay. I'm pretty sure they get out on the twenty first."

Pause.  Zack nods, despite the fact that the caller definitely can't see him.

"Yeah, I'll tell him. Love you guys," Zack finishes, hanging up his phone and giving his attention to Tyler, who's watching him expectantly.

"Look's like we're going to Columbus in a few weeks for Christmas."

<><><>

It's windy as fuck today, making it feel ten thousand times colder than it actually is, and Tyler resents himself for wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and a hoodie in such frigid conditions.

He's shivering so violently that it causes pain by the time he approaches Josh at the bus stop, and the other boy is shivering as much as the brunet now standing next to him.  The older of the two looks down to his younger friend, greeting him with a smile.

"Where's your coat, Tyjo?" Josh asks,and Tyler looks to his friend incredulously.

"Yours?" Tyler returns, and Josh shrugs the best he can in the midst of his shivering.

"One of my parents' druggie friends stole it or something, I can't find it," Josh answers, stepping closer to his friend, "Where's yours?"

"At home," Tyler answers back, blushing as Josh wraps an arm around his shoulder and pulls him closer.

"Looks like we're gonna have to keep each other warm," Josh says—how cliche—as his smile widens, and neither of them say anything else after that.

<><><>

"Guys, check this shit out," are the first words out of Brendon's mouth as Tyler and Josh sit across from him at their usual lunch table.  The excited boy pulls out a wad of ones from his book bag and waves it under their noses, "Smell that? That's the smell of business!"

"How much is that?" Josh asks with a raised brow as Brendon brings the money to his own nose, inhaling contently.

"Fifteen dollars," Brendon answers, putting his money away and retrieving a container of oreos and a small carton of milk; Tyler doesn't even think anything of it anymore.

"Oh, I'm also having a Christmas party soon," Brendon reveals, opening his milk to dip his cookies in it, "It'll be lit, you guys should come."

"Yeah, when is it?" Josh asks, interested.

"Twenty third's the only time I can do it," Brendon answers, and Tyler deflates a little, but that doesn't go unnoticed by the business man across from him, "Will that not work for you, Tyler?"

"I mean, I'm not gonna be in the area," Tyler says a little sadly.

"What do you mean?"

"Cause—um, I'm gonna see my parents and my other siblings for, like, Christmas," Tyler answers, and he hopes Brendon doesn't question him further.

"Oh, then the three of us should do something together before you leave!" Brendon suggests excitedly, and Josh is quick to jump back into the conversation.

"Yeah, isn't your birthday on Thursday, Tyler?"

Brendon perks up, eyes widening as he slams the palms of his hands on the table, startling the  "Your birthday?! How old are you turning?!"

"Sixteen," Tyler squeaks, cringing at how fucking dumb he sounds, but neither of his friends seem to even notice as Brendon continues.

"Holy shit, you're fifteen?!"

"Brendon, we were both fifteen earlier this year," Josh speaks up, semi annoyed with their overly excited friend sitting across from them.

"No, I'm seventeen!" Brendon retorts, turning towards Josh now, "I started school a little late," and he's turning back to Tyler after he defends himself, "We should all celebrate your birthday! How's that sound?"

Tyler thinks about it a little; if it's just the three of them and/or Zack, then he doesn't see why not.  So, he smiles a bit and nods to his friend.

"Sounds sick."

<><><><><><>

thanks you guys! and next chapter's gonna answer some questions oohyes im ready for that one