forty nine

Tyler's startled to consciousness the next morning as his alarm goes off.  The song he had set for his alarm starts off obnoxiously loud and increases in volume the more it's left on, and yeah, alarms are supposed to be loud, but Beach Walk is a bit too much first thing in the morning.

So, he hastily moves to silence the noise before curling up once again under the comforting warmth of his blankets, and that's when he's struck with the ruthless realization that he has school today—Christmas break is over, and it's time to go back to classes after nearly two weeks of freedom.  

The thought's enough to draw a pitiful whine from the brunette, and he lies in bed a moment longer to brood over the school day ahead, and he begins to contemplate faking sick so he can just stay home one more day.

He forces himself out of bed anyways because skipping school will only make going back more difficult—he'd be bound to miss something important and have makeup work to complete—and Josh will be there, even if it's just at the bus stop, lunch, and one class.

<><><>

As Tyler approaches the bus stop, he sees not only Josh standing at their usual spot, but Pete Wentz as well, seemingly having a pleasant conversation.  It's a little amusing to Tyler; they both swung fists at each other after Pete screamed in his face when they first met, and now they're laughing together and enjoying each other's company.  Kinda like his first encounter with Brendon—he stepped on the back of his shoe by mistake and almost got his ass beat because of it, and now Brendon's possibly as leechy towards Tyler as Tyler himself is towards Josh.  

Tyler doesn't mind how clingy Brendon is; it's kinda endearing, actually, and it makes him feel cared for.

Is it the same for Josh though?  What if he finds it annoying?  If not now, then later?  It's bound to happen sooner or later—the more comfortable he gets with someone, the clingier he gets, and he's been called out for it by old friends in the past.

But his old friends were assholes.  His old friends weren't true friends.  Josh is better, and he cares about him so much.

Josh turns his head towards Tyler's direction, smiling fondly to the younger boy as he offers a hand.  Tyler doesn't hesitate before clasping the other's hand in his own, and Josh turns back to Pete, who watches Tyler with interest as the youngest of the three timidly shuffles closer to Josh.  He feels uncomfortable under Pete's gaze, but he tries his best not to show it as he leans his head onto his boyfriend's shoulder.

"You can say hi to him instead of staring at him like that," Josh says lowly, eying the oldest of the three, and Tyler can't help but blush a little.

Pete narrows his eyes a little at Josh before looking to Tyler again, "Hi, Tyler."

"H-hi."

"How are you?" Pete asks.

"Um—I'm good," Tyler stammers, and Josh gives Tyler's hand a comforting squeeze.

Pete nods, just as the bus begins to pull up, saying, "That's good," before turning to head to the vehicle.

"You okay?" Josh asks the younger boy softly as they trail behind Pete.

Tyler nods, offering a smile, "Of course."

<><><><><><>

thank you guys, i love you! <3