thirty six

If Tyler and Zack left at about six in the morning, they should be able to get to Columbus at around three in the afternoon.

So, Tyler had his alarm set to wake him at 5:40am on the twenty third, and he whines sleepily when said alarm blares out at an obnoxious volume.  He turns it off and lays there for a moment more, because it's way too fucking early—he doesn't even get up this early for school (he get's up a whole hour later on school mornings).

He's about to fall asleep once again, but there's a knock at his door before Zack pushes the door open, seeing his younger brother still in bed, falling asleep, "T-bro, you gotta get up."

Tyler only whines again in response, and Zack makes his way over to the smaller, pulling the blankets aside and gently easing him into a sitting position.

"You can go back to sleep in the car, alright?" Zack encourages him before grabbing Tyler's hoodie and shoes, bringing them to him before searching around Tyler's room again, "Where's your coat?"

"I'on know..." Tyler trails off sleepily, pulling his shoes onto his feet before slipping on his hoodie.  

Zack curses under his breath before giving up the search, grabbing a smaller blanket from the hallway closet before bringing it to his brother, "I cooked breakfast, you can eat yours while I put stuff in the car."

"Not hungry," Tyler mumbles as he wraps the blanket around his shoulders, lying back down on the bed and closing his eyes.

Zack sighs and flips the bedroom light on, much to the sleepy boy's dismay, "Suit yourself, but don't go back to sleep yet."

Despite the light being on and Zack's warning, he falls back to sleep while the older man packs the car.

<><><>

When Tyler opens his eyes again, he's met with the sun shining in his eyes, so he brings a hand up to block out the light.  

"Had to carry your ass to the car," Zack teases when he notices the younger boy's consciousness.  

Tyler ignores his statement, sitting up a little and rubbing the sleep from his eyes, "What time is it?"

"I don't know, look on your phone—I'm driving," Zack continues his teasing, nodding towards the cup holder holding Tyler's phone.  He grabs it, presses the home button, it's almost noon—he slept most of the car ride.  

And apparently, he also has a message from Brendon.  Tyler swipes at the message and puts in his passcode.

     brendon: RUBY FUCKING PISSED ALL OVER MY BED IM GONNA FUCKING BODY SLAM HER OUT THE WINDOW

Tyler can't help but giggle at the imagery, despite how much he adored the cat and how wrong animal abuse is, and types back his response.

     tyler: did you show her where the litter box is?

     brendon: I was supposed to??? I thought she would be able to smell it!

     tyler: thats your stupidity, dont blame Ruby :^)

     brendon: You're so mean to me :(

     tyler: ily

     brendon: Ily too.  Are you there yet?

     tyler: nah we still have a few hours to go

     brendon: You must be suffering

     tyler: nah not really. i just woke up and i can stand a few hours in a car :^)

     brendon: I wouldn't be able to do it omg

     brendon: I gtg! Bye!

     tyler: bye :^)

Tyler locks his phone and puts it aside again, just as his stomach growls—long and loud—and Zack just bursts out laughing because it's definitely fucking hilarious, yeah?  But Tyler laughs along anyways; laughing feels good, laughing makes him feel happy.

"We'll stop at a fast food place when we drive past one," Zack offers, and Tyler nods in agreement.

<><><><><><>

thank you guys! <3