forty six

an: alright, two things!  happy new year guys!  and, one of my ao3 readers (myspookyjoshdunchristmas) has done a truce cover that i'd like to share!  it's like a response to twenty one pilots, and they said i could link it here too :^) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7-nm6aSfs

<><><><><><>

Tyler hasn't forgotten what Zack had suggested on Christmas; he could play a song to Josh when he got back home, a song dedicated to their new relationship.

So, he spent the next several days of his Christmas break hunched over his keyboard, determined and focused, only leaving his room to eat and use the bathroom, of course.  His younger siblings would hang out with him in his room while he practiced, testing Tyler's ability to multitask as they talked and watched him play at the same time.

He doesn't call Josh either while he practices—he doesn't wanna ruin the surprise—and opted to stick with texting instead, though responses from Tyler were a bit slower than they should've been.  The older boy never brought that up, so Tyler guesses that it's alright.  If Josh were to bring it up, he'd just say he's working on a surprise for him, so it doesn't really matter anyways.

<>

Now it's December 31, and Zack's planning on driving them both back home on the first of January, and that leaves Tyler with mixed emotions.  He's sad to leave his siblings, because honestly, he has no idea when he'll be able to see them next.  But, he's also excited to see Brendon and Ruby and Josh again—and he still has to play Josh that song, and that makes him nervous, because he's not sure he's good enough at it yet.  He doesn't suck at it, though, so maybe Josh should still be pleased.

<>

There's only a few hours left of 2016 when Tyler's phone starts ringing next to his head with an incoming FaceTime call, waking him from his sleep.  He taps the answer button before laying back down, leaving the camera pointing up towards the ceiling.  He can hear a lot of noise in the background of Josh's end of the call, and he assumes that he's at a party or something.

"Hey," Tyler greets, cringing at how groggy his voice sounds.

"Hey," Josh greets him back, "Why aren't you on the camera?"

"I don't look presentable," comes Tyler's excuse, "I just woke up."

"I don't mind, baby boy," Josh assures, the younger boy blushing and grinning at the pet name.

"Now I'm definitely not getting on the camera," Tyler says, suppressing a giggle.

"Awe, man, why not?" Josh whines, and the smaller boy can't hold back his giggle anymore.  

"You made me blush and I'm sure I look stupid every time I do."

"No, you don't," the other boy promises, "Let me see you."

"Okay, fine," Tyler gives in, sitting up to turn on the lamp on the nightstand.  He gets comfortable and fixes his hair a little before getting on the camera.  Josh seems pleased as he smiles fondly.

"Thanks, baby boy," Josh says, and Tyler's face heats up again as his grin returns, "You're so cute."

And Tyler pulls the collar of his shirt up over his nose as he—unsurprisingly—becomes more flushed than before, "Liar, you know I'm scraggly."

Josh laughs, "I'm not lying; you're hella cute, period. Are you doing anything for New Years?"

"Uh—no," Tyler starts, releasing his collar, "I think my family's gonna watch the ball drop on tv or something."

"Why aren't you?"

"I don't really care enough to," Tyler shrugs, "What about you?"

"That Pete Wentz guy is having a New Year's party right now and Brendon convinced me to tag along. Me and Pete talked things out and we're cool now—after that fight back in October, you saw that, right?"

Tyler nods, and Josh speaks again.

"You know, I wish you were here so we could do that cheesy shit and kiss at midnight."

"But I can't right now so baby kiss me through the phone."

Josh starts chuckling at that, "You dork, over here making fucking Soulja Boy references."

Tyler giggles sheepishly, "What, is that a bad thing?"

Josh shakes his head, "Nah, just a little lame."

"I guess," Tyler laughs a little, "So, how's the party?"

"Eh, it's not too bad," Josh shrugs nonchalantly, "They're down there playing drinking games and shit."

"And you don't wanna play?" Tyler asks, tilting his head a little, and Josh chuckles again.

"I'm not much of a drinker," Josh answers, shaking his head, "And even if I was, I'd much rather sit in the bathtub and talk to my boyfriend."

And, Tyler's face flushes again.  Neither say anything for a moment until Josh breaks the silence, "Have any New Year's resolutions?"

Tyler shakes his head, "No, I don't really do those."

"Me neither, but is there a reason why?"

"Not really... I guess I never really stick with them for long, anyways."

Tyler can hear people counting down from ten from Josh's end of the call, as well as his family downstairs.

"I'm just glad 2016 is ending," Josh sighs as the countdowns continue, "It's been a really shitty year."

"The end of it wasn't so bad," Tyler smiles, not caring if he sounds sappy or cliche.  Josh doesn't seem to mind, though, as he smiles back at the younger.  It hits midnight, and a lot of cheering and hollering can be heard, especially from Josh's end of the call.

"You should definitely let me kiss you when you come home," Josh suggests, looking to Tyler hopefully.

And Tyler blushes for the thousandth time since he met Josh, "Yeah, I should."

<><><><><><>

thank you guys! <3