seventy eight

an: psssst heyo so like i have a new joshler up called puppet strings and if ya don't mind dark shit and painful subjects you should check it out! 

<><><><><><>

Tyler feels very apprehensive as he walks with Pete and Brendon down the hallway after the class bell blares throughout the building. he glances over at Brendon, then at Pete, and they both seem totally okay with this—maybe he's just being dramatic.

Fuck no—Pete and Brendon are a couple of hooligans and Tyler has common goddamn sense—why is he here right now? He literally just got suspended for trespassing, now he's skipping? He must want Zack to fuck him up or something, why is he doing shit that he knows will get him into trouble? Why is he—

"Tyler, chill out," Pete warns him as he nudges his arm, totally not startling the younger boy, "We'll look suspicious with you making that face."

Tyler's face flushes. He's making a face?

He ducks his head sheepishly and watches his feet as they walk forward, left, right, left, right, and he remembers the time that girl commented to her friend about how he walks weird in middle school, and he can't help but wonder if he still does.

"There's nothing to be scared of!" Brendon reassures him as he slings his arm around his shoulders, just as they turn into the hallway at the back of the school, where a few boys are already hanging out.

He recognizes them vaguely, and he remembers Ashley, of course, and she offers him a small smile as they approach. He musters up a smile of his own.

"Who the fuck is this?" one of the guys rasps, and Tyler doesn't feel welcome here—why would he be?

"Isn't that Josh's lil boyfriend?" another boy asks as he ducks his head once again in shame.

"Yeah, his name is Tyler and he's sweet, so be nice to him," Ashley's voice speaks sternly, and he leans more into Brendon's side.

"Yeah! We'll tell Josh if you don't!" Brendon adds, giving Tyler a comforting, friendly squeeze.

"Does Josh even know he's here?"

"Tyler's his own person, he can go where the fuck he wants without telling Josh first," Pete says as he heads in Ashley's direction.

"He looks like he doesn't even wanna be here," a different guy's voice states, and he bows his head a little more.

"Because you jerks are making him uncomfortable!" Brendon fusses, guiding the awkward boy to a window ledge. Brendon sits on it and gestures for Tyler to do the same.

"So, is this a new thing that's happening now?" the first voice asks, and God, Tyler feels so unwelcome here, he could cry, "Is this kid gonna be hangin' with us now?"