47

X L V I I

S H I F T S

The other half of the Seekers. If seekers read the future, shifts changes the past.

Lily's P.OV

Before my grand birthday happened last night and before I got wasted and everything, I went to Snape and told him I want to take the class this early. It's better to learn something rather than be lonely on your birthday. Of course, I thought everyone forgot about it.

"Happy Birthday Lily." He greeted, placing a book down my table. A book entitled, Read Me by Alice Calder. Interesting and a bit of a joke for a title. Read me as in read the book and read me as a future reader.

"Professor Snape, can I ask you something?" He looked at me with those sternly eyes.

"Are there more future readers like me?" I asked as I look at the cover of the book.

"Yes."

"Where are they? I haven't met anyone like me, not even my mother."

"Let's start this class." Obviously, he's changing the topic.

"You said you're Alice's brother. Are you a seeker too?" He stopped and paused for a while. Maybe debating if he should answer me or not.

"Yes."

"Can you show me?" He walked closer and touched me. He held my wrist and I felt different. I felt wind blowing, the feeling of being connected, the feeling of flight, the feeling of power. I felt as if I have connected into him. I felt my eyes turn red, I felt good and I felt power. I saw all his past and future in a fast forward vision but it wasn't all clear. Then it all suddenly stopped.

"Professor. What is that I felt?" I asked, amazed and confused at the same time.

"Seekers connect, seekers have the power to connect and gain more power than the usual. You're already strong but you can evern be more strong. When two seekers connect, your power merges but then you never know how and when you need to use it."

"I never knew that. They never told me that in books like Alice, I mean, your sister didn't even say any of those."

"She wouldn't, we discovered it, we invented it and once our kind knows about it, they can be of greater power than any wizard and witch in these world. You know what happens when they gain more power, they will only abuse it. That is why you must not tell this to anyone, it is for everyone's safety and our safety."

"Last question professor, is your power with mine the same with you and your sister's?"

"Ahh, very wise Ms. Smith, you deserve the power in your hands. But no, it is completely different. You will gain the greatest partner when you meet your pair. The time will come Lily, you just have to wait. Since we are siblings, Alice is my pair."

"Everyone has their own pairs?"

"Yes, and always remember that once you meet your pair, great danger will come. Why? Because once you have the greatest and powerful ability in your hands connected to another. Power will play in your head as a demon or a conscience telling you to turn away against your path. Our partners are known as the Shifts."