Jaire 15

So it was a Friday night and I was hanging out with all my boys; Roy, Terico whose team had a bye week, Cash and Elijah..... everything was going good my team was loving better heading into mid-October, the night classes I was taking were super easy so my grades were on point, the only downside was Elijah...... even though him and Duron weren't back together (yet) he had still moved back into their old house (without Duron) and I could already see Duron was slowly making his way back into Elijah's heart. Roy and Terico have been pressuring me to say something to him before it was too late, but I valued our friendship above everything and plus I wasn't good with rejection. Tonight wasn't about that though, tonight was about us just having a good time since the last time we went out ended in a fight between Elijah and Duron's side nigga...... We walked into Steak and Shake after spending most of the night getting sloppy drunk, thankfully Terico was there because there's no telling what kind of trouble we'd get into if he wasn't.

"Yo..... remember, remember the time Serenity almost caught us drinking junior year and we were so damn paranoid that see was going to snitch that she managed to scam about a hundred dollars from us not to tell your mom?" I said looking at Elijah who just started shaking his head.

"And the kicker was we were so drunk that we completely forgot that it was my mom who actually bought the liquor for us.... I think that was the same night we dared Roy to steal something from Serenity's room and see how long it took for her to notice." Elijah said laughing.

"Maaan...... I was so damn scared because that was when she was dating whatshisface and that dude wasn't all there in the head, but y'all will be happy to know that the thing that I took is still safe with me." Roy said smiling, he never did tell us what he took but obviously it wasn't that major if Serenity never tripped about it.

"Ayy y'all it's late and just because I don't have a game tomorrow doesn't mean I don't have to be back at a reasonable hour. So who am I dropping of first?" Terico said.

"Cash, then Roy, then me and Elijah..... we're going to chill at my place for the night." I said and Terico nodded. After we got dropped off we stumbled into my apartment laughing at nothing and even in my drunken state I was painfully aware of how close Elijah's body was to mine. "What made you move back to that house?" I asked as we sat on the couch.

"Because Serenity is aggravating as fuck, plus her neighbors are ghetto half the time their either fucking or fighting or both at the same time. So I needed some peace and before you ask no Duron hasn't been over but we talk on the phone every now and then." Elijah said answering my next question.

"So I gotta ask....... why him? I'm just trying to understand what you see in him, because you could do so much better and you deserve so much better..... I mean you must've known he was cheating on you." I said and Elijah started laughing, but I knew that he was just doing that to keep from crying.

"If it was anybody else asking me those questions I would've cussed you out by now but since you're my boy I'll tell you..... Did I suspect Duron of cheating, nah because he was smart with it. He always made sure that whenever we were together it was about us which leads me into what I see in him....... I know y'all probably think Duron treated me like shyt but he didn't at least not directly and there's a side of Duron that y'all never got to see; I mean there would be times we'd just look at each other and start smiling or we'd be arguing over something stupid and end up on the ground laughing like crazy because he both knew the argument was childish. Duron ignited every..... every emotion from love to at some points hate, but I knew in my heart that he loved me." Elijah said quietly.

"Damn......" Was my only response because even for a second I bought that maybe their love was real and I sorta found myself rooting for them, then I had to chided myself because I knew Duron wasn't shyt and I knew he'd never change.

"What I wanna know is why you never told me how you felt about me?" Elijah said smiling a little bit.

"Because I was afraid to lose this.... our friendship. I was.... I am afraid that if we took this to the next level that it would be a tug-of-war between me and Duron because despite how I feel about him I know you love him and I can't split you in half." I said looking in his eyes. "Who knows I may have been the better man for you but Duron...... everyone knows you pushed him to be better, he wouldn't be anything if you hadn't push him and I can't believe I'm about to say this but you should at least have a sit down with him, make him tell you everything and make your choice from there." I said shaking my head. "But don't get back with that nigga." I said trying to lighten the mood.

"Thanks Jaire, you're a good friend." Elijah said looking in my eyes. We sat there looking in each other's eyes and I saw it..... something was there, something stronger than before. Our bodies started moving closer to each other and I pulled away.

"It's late and we're both drunk...... go to bed Elijah we're got to get up and do it all again tomorrow..... or later today whichever." I said smiling as I helped him to the guest bedroom.........

"So wait run that by me again..... you told him how you felt, then you basically told him to go back to his ex? Boy you stupid, you yo daddy's son." Roy said shaking his head. It was Monday and we were standing off to the side while Cash ran practice, which everyone enjoyed because he was a lot softer than I was.

"I'm pretty sure that's not how it goes and it's about timing Roy, I can't make a move while he's still in love with Duron. What if we got together and he realizes that he still has feelings for that nigga and I end up getting hurt? I'm doing it for my own protection and our friendship. Ayy Khris get over here." I yelled. "How's that little project going?" I asked and he shuffled around uncomfortably.

"Irvin won't talk to me and honestly Coach Jay I don't think we need that nigga we're looking better than we ever have before." Khris said and I thought about it for a second.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure I didn't ask what you thought, oh and don't think I forgot about you skipping Mrs. Rice class, you know what that means right?" I asked and he looked pissed. "Friday night here make sure you bring a lot of water because you'll need it." I said as he walked off pissed.

"That boy is gay as fuck?" Roy said and I smacked him with my clipboard. "What two of my best friends are gay and if I learned anything from hanging around you and Elijah it's that it's okay to speak my mind." Roy said smirking.

"But that's a kid and how do you figure he's gay?" I asked.

"Because when he said that boy Irvin's name his eyes lit up and I feel like the reason he doesn't want to be around him is because he still hasn't come to terms with his feelings yet. Hell I watched you go through almost the same thing with Elijah, now I'm just trying to figure out three things." Roy said and I knew I was going to regret the next words out my mouth but I had to ask.

"And what is that Roy?" I asked.

"First what will be the colors for me and Serenity's wedding, I think my future wife would look amazing in lavender. Second since your obviously going to be waiting for Elijah until the end of time, why haven't you just fucked that nigga Cash? I can tell he's feeling you or at least wants the 'D'. I mean who else volunteers to hang around a bunch of moody teens without getting paid? And finally why is that nigga Duron here?" Roy asked and my head snapped to the door and most of my players were surrounding Duron trying to get autographs and shyt. I blew my whistle but of course they ignored me. "Ayy Cash take them outside and make them run laps until they throw up!" I said pissed, as Duron made his way over to me.

"Look I'm just here to talk......." Duron said quietly.

"We ain't got shyt to talk about, my loyalty lies with Elijah so as far as I'm concerned that's who you need to talk to." I said looking him directly in the eyes.

"I already did and he told me that it was you that convinced him to have a one on one with me and I just wanted to say thanks...... I know we'll probably never like each other but we both want the best for Elijah and you could've easily made a move on him but you didn't...... so again thanks." Duron said walking off.

"We should've jumped that nigga." Roy said shaking his head. I didn't like Duron and I never would but like I said earlier everything was about timing and I knew in my heart right now was the best time for me and Elijah. Until he worked out whatever issues him and Duron had I would only get half of him but I put my feelings out there and now the ball was in his court what he chose to do with it was on him and as his friend I would respect any decision he made even if I didn't agree with it...................................