[31] Fight fight fight

🔱Zeke's POV🔱

I trample the hallways in search of someone in particular.

Dillon.

My evil second brother. My best friend. Hayley's boyfriend.

I find him in the cafeteria, eating a hamburger.

"Come with me." I slam my hands on the table and grab the burger out of his hands.

Mmm, looks tasty.

Dillon looks at me like I'm deranged. "You just ruined my lunch."

"I don't care." I speak and am about to strike at him when I realise how many people are watching me right now. I click my jaw back into place. "Come with me now, Dillon."

He steadily follows me through the school and as soon as Dill and I are alone I unleash what I've been wanting to say for the past few days in one punch.

"You know I care for her!" I speak angrily as I stare down at my best friend. "Why would you do that?"

"I'm allowed to like her too. It's her choice," Dillon tries talking to me in a calming voice, but it comes out patronising. "And I guess she chose me."

"She doesn't know who to choose." I claim. "It's the basic rules, man. You're like a brother to me and you would put that on the line just to steal my girl?"

"Look mate, it's her choice so why don't we just leave it at that?" Dillon speaks and relief visually flows through him when he sees my body relax.

Nah, I'm just playing.

"We're not leaving it. We're sorting this out right now." I speak, my voice low. "I'm done with this shit."

Dillon sighs. "I know you feel protective of her, but you've got to let it go. You made a mistake, Zeke. You drugged us both like our lives are all just big jokes. Well newsflash, they're not. Hayley is a real person and you've treated her horribly. I'm good for her."

My anger boils again and I finally admit my feelings. "I love her!" I shout and shove Dillon. He falls back out through the door and into the corridor. I don't care that people will see us, I need to get this out of my system. Dillon is a traitor, stealing my girl like that. He knew I liked her but never said anything, and he took advantage of that.

"But I love her too!" Dillon yells back and my fists clench.

I can't help myself as anger overthrows any feelings I had for my former best friend. I dart forward, and throw a punch at his jaw. Dillon falls weak to the floor, blood pouring from his nose. The crowd gathering around us gasp but I ignore it.

"That's a load of crap compared to me. You know one thing that changes this?" I speak down to him, my voice low. Dillon looks up at me like an intimidated puppy as I sound more threatening than I knew I was capable of. To be honest, I can't believe I say the next few words out loud. "I genuinely, actually love her."

The feeling I get when I say those three words is crazy. Realisation hits me like a bullet to the heart as I think of the girl I love. I love her. I love how funny she is, how brave. I love how she makes me smile. I love her beautiful face, her cautious yet daring eyes. I love her. I love Hayley O'Sullivan.