[20] liar, liar, pants on fire

I lay in bed, thinking.

I'm safe now that we settled the fight with Nichilo but I still don't feel right.

I left everyone else straight after finding out that Dillon had helped kill Nichilo. I just didn't understand why and didn't want to face even more questions by going back into the house.

Dillon walked me back to my front door, his breath stinking but his smile bright. He explained what he could, but I it still feels like there is something he isn't telling me.

"The plan was already put in place before anything even happened." Dillon explained grimly. "So when you guys had to run Zeke contacted me about the situation and we all thought of a plan. He wanted to meet Nichilo's men and settle it out, and that was why you were brought to the forest..."

"And stabbed." I muttered spitefully, piecing it together.

"He thought he could protect you." Dillon gave me sympathetic yet defensive look. "When Nichilo said he wanted you and Zeke to go to his tower it was exactly what we needed to get in. Zeke refused to involve you anymore since you got hurt but you got yourself involved somehow. No one outside knew that you were in there, or that you could get hurt. That's why Mace called me and told me about it and we decided that we should get you out of there, although it was James who actually ended up saving you. Once you had left the rest of the plan happened. The fire alarm had already been set off, meaning water was running low in the building anyway. I don't know whether you noticed this but Baz's coat was rather... large. We packed it with the explosives from fireworks and lit the fuse. It was lucky you got out in time really, that's why Mace and Miles are so injured."

"Because of the... the explosion?" I asked, a little overwhelmed.

Dillon nervously avoided eye contact. "Yeah. Once the explosion had gone off the building was in panic, with bodies on the floor and our distraction throwing the thugs off guard. There were still a few left, though, and so I came in to help. Did you notice Foster grab an ID card?"

I thought back to when the sixteen year old got in the passenger seat and ordered us to leave. "I remember... he got it from a Blacksuit, right?" I conjoured up a now vivid memory.

Dillon nodded. "That's how I got in."

My mind ticked and puzzled over what he said and even now I'm still trying to fit it all together.

All that time I thought that we were on the run, fearing for our lives, when only ourselves were to blame. Zeke wanted to get into the building, that was why he went without me so I wouldn't get hurt. But then because I followed it meant that Mace and Miles got caught up in the swirl of crap as well as Dillon.

I'm so oblivious, why didn't I notice?

I turn over onto my side and my eyes catch a glimpse of my window, where a light is shining from outside.

I climb out of bed and peak into the darkness to see Mace lying on his garden lawn, his hands behind his head like he's sunbathing under the stars. He looks like he's peacefully snoozing, but every now and then he jolts or turns or his eyes flutter open.

He must be lonely, out there on his own with only his thoughts as company.

I slip on one of my hoodies with fluffy pockets– which happens to be pink with spots and matches my pyjamas– and tiptoe outside. You won't be surprised when I tell you that apple trees are actually much harder to climb in the dark...