[17] Sneakers

The forest grows darker as a silence falls over us.

Bring the girl or consider her life always at risk.

The words bounce in my head and I glance towards Zeke. He is already looking at me, watching my face.

I try to smile. "It's okay." My voice shakes slightly but I hold it together. "I've always liked being badass."

Zeke shakes his head. "You're not coming."

"But if I don't then I'll always be in danger!" I claim and move closer to him, wincing slightly as I do so. "We both go in and we stick together."

He looks at me for a moment like he's weighing his options. "Everyone in the car. We're leaving."

Baz and Mace stare at the ground and follow his orders. I roll my eyes.

*^*^*

We get back to the motel late at night and I go straight to my room.

What is Zeke playing at? I'm not going to let him go in there on his own! And anyway I have to go so what are we really debating here?

I understand that he needs to sort the feud out between him and Mace's Uncle but I can't let him get hurt.

There, I said it.

This crush is growing into something too strong...

It's just that he's so handsome and caring... I love his eyes– they're lapis and silver and every other intriguing colour in the galaxy. He hides so many secrets behind his eyes, yet they always seem to clear when he looks at me. If only he knew how I feel then I could either just kiss his face off if he feels the same way or think of him on an entirely friendly basis if he doesn't.

Although that's probably how I should be thinking now...

There is a knock on the door, interrupting me as I shrug on a crop top absentmindedly and think about examining my bandage.

"Hey." Zeke murmurs as I slowly open the door, still nervous of anyone coming for me.

"Hi." I say unsteadily.

There is a silence for a few seconds as I make no move to let him in and he shows no sign of wanting to. "

You busy?" He finally sighs and itches the back of his neck.

"I was just about to check my bandage." I shrug.

"You can never trust Mace." Zeke chuckles slightly before his eyes drop to my injury. "You want me to?"

I feel insecure with his eyes scanning my body but shrug it off. "Er, thanks."

I let him into my tiny room which became privately mine since I got stabbed and everyone complained that I moaned too much.

I unwrap the bandage from my stomach and Zeke draws his breath in. "This is bad. Worse than that time I got stabbed."

"You did?" I frown and wince at the same time as his cold hands brush my skin.

"Complicated." He shrugs.

I fall silent as he slowly wraps the bandage back around my body neater than before, his breath fanning my face as his trained eyes concentrate on helping me. I can't help but watch him now that his face is only a few inches away from mine and wonder how I managed to become close to such an intimidatingly handsome guy. His dark hair and lapis eyes draw in any girl and somehow I'm falling like every other. He's a chick magnet, but I'm the ugly duckling who doesn't deserve someone so... so beautiful.