[25] The Other (wo)man

I smile to myself for a while, thinking about what just happened, before an awkward cough breaks my daze.

"So you wanted to speak to me?" Dillon frowns, but I can tell he's not acting like his usual self.

"Yeah..." I sigh. "I just want to make sure you're okay. You've been acting strange ever since you, er... Tested asking me out." I place a comforting hand on his arm. "Are we okay?"

He smiles sadly. "Why wouldn't we be?"

"I don't know, I—"

"No, it's okay. There are no problems so why worry?" His hard expression stares at me. "But can I do one thing? As long as you promise to forget it after?"

"Er..." I start, unsure of whether to trust him on this.

Dillon doesn't even bother waiting for my answer and places a finger across my lips to shut me up. I frown and glare at his podgy finger, as he leans in close.

I really want to shut my eyes, block out whatever he is about to do, but I also need to see what is going on. I watch as Dillon's face leans closer towards me.

I can't let him kiss me. Not when I just admitted that I care for Zeke. Whatever that meant...

In a split second, as his lips near mine, I turn my head so that his kiss lands on my cheek.

My eyes clamp shut. I don't want to see his reaction. All I hear is a sigh, and so I peer through my lashes once more.

Dillon is slumped over, staring aimlessly away from me. Hurt is written all over his face and I can't bear it. Not when I caused him that much pain.

"I just... I just had to do that..." He mumbles. "Leave my mark, you know? But like I said, forget I did that."

And then he walks away. He simply strides into the darkness of the rest of the world, without any faith in the people that he trusts.

I feel so bad. So angry that I hurt him.

But I couldn't let him kiss me, could I? What was he thinking? If he knows that I like Zeke, then why would he try to get closer with me? But then I guess it's just like he said. He wanted to leave his mark and I will remember and respect that for it will probably never happen again.

I trundle back up to my house to see lights on in the sitting room. On my way there though, I bump into Rebecca fetching drinks from the kitchen.

"Hey, how did it go?" She asks. "Oh and Dillon left by the way. He told me to tell you goodbye."

I nod grimly. "I'll tell you about it later. I don't really want to talk right now. I need the rest of the boys to lighten up my mood first."

She narrows her eyes at me but nods kindly. "As you wish, your highness. But I do hope that you will tell me about all the drama soon. Life's boring without permanently knowing about your best friends life."

I laugh. "Thanks Rebecca, I'll remember that for when you tell me about yours and Mace's movie night."

She flinches slightly. "Yeah, no."