[15] Chicken run

"Mace? Why are we in your house?" I frown as I look around. I remember singing kareoke in here with Zeke at my side but the whole room feels a lot colder now.

"Wait in here, I'll text Zeke to tell him to bring his car." Mace strides out the room and I frown.

Zeke? Car? Leaving?

Hell no.

We fight back.

And we fight back hard.

Mace returns with a dark look on his face and we are in silence for a few seconds before a car arrives outside. It sneaks over the gravel and I see Mace's muscles tense as he approaches the window.

The thuds of footsteps pound into the silence and I want to run, until I watch Mace's lips turn up.

To my surprise Zeke then strides through the front door and in a rush of relief I want to throw my arms around his neck.

"Zeke!" I scream as I get up and run to him. After a second I feel him hug me tight, his strong arms making me feel safer than ever before.

"I shouldn't have left you." I hear him whisper, his face buried in my neck as his grip tightens around my waist.

"What's going on?" I ask desperately and pull back to look at him, then to Mace and back to Zeke again.

Mace nods to my not so good bodyguard and a silent agreement falls over them. His footsteps then drum as he speeds up the stairs two at a time and I frown as I turn back to Zeke, only to be greeted by his back as he locks his car and tests the tires.

I feel so lost and alone, not knowing what the hell is going on.

Zeke then comes back and strokes my cheek gently with one finger, breaking me out of my aimless stare at the ground, before resting his arm stiffly by his side.

"Sit down." His expression goes blank. "Don't answer the door unless Mace or I are here."

I am about to speak when he turns and leaves to follow Mace up the stairs.

I am about to enter the sitting room when there's a knock on the front door.

I freeze.

Zeke and Mace are nowhere to be seen. Do I answer it?

I go to the window and peep out as subtly as I can. I see a girl wearing all black, her face covered by a hood.

I want to scream but the figure has already taken my breath away. I slowly inch the door open, but obviously not quick enough because an arm soon pushes it into me, hurting my nose in the process. Suddenly I get pushed over, arms wrapped firmly around me. I struggle, fighting against my challenger.

"Help!" I scream and slap her across the face.

She grunts. "Hey! Stop it! I was just trying to hug you!"

My face drops and I slowly peel away the hood from her face like taking the mask off of Romeo, just without the same adoring affection. "Rebecca? Oh my god, it's you!"

Tears form in my eyes as stupid relief fills me. This is the third time today that I thought I was going to be kidnapped.

Suddenly we hear someone running down the stairs. "What's going on?!" Zeke's shouts urgently, a look of panic stricken onto his face.

Mace thunders after him, before both boys sigh in time. "Rebecca," Mace kind of smiles and hugs her tightly, a sense of protectiveness in his stance.