CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I woke up around 11:30. That's what you do on Saturdays, right? I grabbed a pair of shorts, a black workout jacket, a pair of headphones, and my IPhone. I walked downstairs to get some breakfast. I grabbed to pieces of toast with jelly.

Once I was finished eating, I jogged into the road. I ran on the side of it. The scenery is so Beautiful. Green trees. Blue skies. Nice breeze. It was a perfect day for a jog. I looked around and noticed that a lot of my nieghbors were outside doing yard work. They must think that today is nice out also.

Once I reached the end of the road I turned around and started jogging back. I kept an even pace with my arms and kept my breathe steady. I stopped by a big tree and leaned on it for a quick Brake. I texted Lexi.

' Do you know when the funeral is? '

No answer.

I shrugged it off and got up. I brushed off the back of my shorts, too. I turned my music on and started in a Sprint. I sprinted past my neighbor, Miss Betsey, Past my neighbor, Mrs. and Mr. Scroll, and then I saw a little girl on the side of the road. She looked as if she had been crying.

So I stopped and asked...

"What's...wrong...sweetie?" I asked in-between breathes.

"My..my mommy threw me out of the car and t... told m...me that she hates me." she cried.

"What? What is her name?" I asked.

"Mom." she said.

This is going to be harder than I thought.

"Do you want to come to my house for a while?" I asked.

"Um....I guess."

"Okay come on." I said holding out my hand.

She grabbed it and we started skipping down the street. I tripped on a rock and fell. She fell on top of me. I started laughing...and she had the giggles.

"Mom! I need you to come here." I called.

No answer.

"Mom!" I called.

...Again No answer.

I found a note on the refrigerator..... It said...

"I went to the grocery store to get some more food...Because it is supposed to snow a lot tomorrow. Love you~

                                                                                  Mom.

" Well, my mom isn't here right now, but she will soon." I said.

"What is your name?" She asked.

" My name is Katie. What is your name?" I asked.

"My name is Carly. How old are you?" She asked.

" I am seventeen." I said.

" I am four!" she cheered.

"Wow! Your so old!" I said.

" I know. Do you have a boyfriend?" She asked.

"Yes." I replied.

"Is he handsome?" She giggled.

"Yes. He is very handsome." I said.

"Can I meet him?" She asked.

"Maybe sometime." I said.

"Can we watch Spongebob?" She asked.

"Umm...."

"I'm home!" mom yelled.

"Mom. Come here." I called.

" What is it hone...." "Oh. who is this?" She asked.

"This is Carly. Her mom abused her and I found her all alone. She needs help." I said.

"Oh." my mom said.

"Will you be my mommy?" Carly asked my mom.

I knew what my mom would say....

"Me? I can't. I will find someone who can though!"

But she didn't... She said...

" Yes."

I was shocked. She looked at me with a smile and nodded. I looked at Carly, and she was VERY happy. She was jumping up arms down clapping her hands. Where will she sleep. Why did my mom say yes? I mean Yes...I do like Carly, but...Why?

"Come on Carly. We have to go to the police so that I can be your mom. Katie, I need you to go to a friend's house for her first night so that she can get settled in. Okay?" She asked.

"Okay. I'll go to Lex... How about I just go to a hotel." I asked.

"Why not Lex... You know what. I am not even going to ask. Sure, go to a hotel. Call me on your way home." She said.

"Okay. I am going to go pack and then I will leave. " I said.

                                            +++++

Once I was in my hotel room I turned on the T.V. I was watching my favorite show. That's when I heard my phone BUZZ. it means that I got a text. I pulled out my phone. The text was from Lexi.

' There is no funeral. Jacob is alive.'