I Am Not Someone to Be Loved

Joker paced along the hallway while Harley sat on the top step, her head in her hands.

"I can't believe this...I just can't....She is going to be ok, right Mistah J?"

J just ground his teeth and kept pacing.

"I mean, I knew she looked sad last night but I really..." before she could finish Joker had knelt beside her, his face right in hers.

"Can you stop talking for one fucking second, Harley?" He growled before standing up and walking to the nearest wall, resting his head on it. Harley stood up on the step, facing him but not daring to go any closer.

"We did this!!! You know that, right?? You know we drove her to this!!!"

Joker punched the wall, leaving a small crack along the wallpaper. He turned around and walked towards Harley. She wanted to stand her ground but the look in J's eyes, it scared her. She turned around and quickly ran down the stairs; she could hear J's feet echoing behind her. She ended up in the living room before she stopped and turned around.

She watched J enter the doorway and just stand there and glare at her.

Harley felt tears well in her eyes. "I brought her into our twisted world; I accept that. But you couldn't just let us be, could you J? You had to claim her; turn her into nothing more than your living doll. You're just as bad as Griggs was to her, you know that?"

She backed away as J stalked towards her, but she couldn't stop her words; they just kept coming. "Then you left her alone last night-you broke her heart and then you left her alone."

J stopped in his tracks, his hand itching to unholster his gun.

"Well, well Ms. High and Mighty Harley Quinn, It seems you also broke her heart AND left her alone last night too!" He let out a loud laugh, throwing his head back. "Check yourself baby, look at your own hands; they are covered in her blood!!"

Harley stopped moving backwards; she let herself fall onto the nearest couch, hanging her head in shame. He was right; she was far from innocent.

"I know...I do." She looked up at J, her face a twisted picture of agony and guilt. "If...when she wakes up...I am going to tell her how much I care about her...how much I love her."

Joker grimaced, grabbing a book off the side table and hurling it at the wall. "God Harley, when did you become so soft?? Become sooooooo weak?" He sneered.

Harley quickly stood up, her anger flaring again. "Well then Mistah J, please do enlighten me with what wonderful words of comfort you are going to bestow upon your princess when she wakes up??"

Joker let out a long laugh, then his face quickly became serious again, "Oh, I am going to tell my little doll that she'd better not EVER try something like this again because she belongs to me and NO ONE takes my things away!" He yelled.

Harley just stared at him in disbelief. Was this the man she had given up her life for? The man who she had been hopelessly and madly in love with? She used to be able to see the goodness in his demons. Now she only saw the darkness.

"You never loved me, did ya, Puddin? I have been fooling myself this whole time. All
our heists we did together, our good times and laughs. You risking your life to set me free...it was never done out of love, was it??

Joker grinned and shook his head, "Oh baby, didn't I always tell you? I am not someone to be loved, and I am definitely not someone who
loves. Harls, you are a diamond in the rough, a beautiful, intelligent woman who gave up everything for a psychotic, serial-killing clown. You are valuable to me; you are my right-hand woman; most importantly you belong to me."

Harley couldn't help but let a sad smile come to her face. "That is it then, huh Mistah J? Everything you did, you did it purely because I belong to you, and you are always in control, right , Puddin?"

Joker gave a big smile and started a slow motion, movie clap, walking towards Harley. "Bingo, Baby!!"

"And that is why you are so frustrated right now. Lisbeth took control of her life in her own hands. I bet that burns you bad, J!" Harley laughed as Joker gritted his teeth.

"She will learn her place; one way or another."

"Boss!!!" A voice shouted from upstairs. "Doc is finished!"

Harley hurried around the sofa and ran up the stairs, closely followed by J. They entered the room to see Lisbeth bundled under some blankets, surrounded by Jonny, Hatter and the Doctor.

"Sooooo" Joker snarled, looking at the frightened doctor.

"Well...you are lucky boss that...that...your men busted in when they did." He stuttered out. "If they were just a few minutes later, she could have been dead." The doctor took a step back in fear as J let out a low growl. "The...the amount of blood she lost was substantial but not lethal. She will wake up very weak...but she will wake up."

Harley let out a relieved sigh as she sat down next to the sleeping Lisbeth; she looked so peaceful now; a whole lot more peaceful than she ever did when she was awake.

Joker went to the other side of the bed, looking down at his Little Lisbeth. He was so angry at her for trying to leave him but at the same time a different feeling welled up in him; one of unbearable sadness at almost losing her. He hadn't known her for very long but in that short time, she had carved a place in his life and he wanted her to always stay there.

"Boss," Jonny said quietly, seeing the contemplative look in J's eyes, "I just got a message; a message from Dig."

"Fuck!" Joker said quietly, running a hand roughly through his hair. "The heist tonight." He quickly turned to Jonny. "It has to be done tonight..."

"Dig and his men have left their compound already."

"Ok" J muttered. "We have to get ready to leave." He turned, training his eyes on Harley.

"I am staying with her, J. I am not going on the heist." She said in a deathly low voice.

Joker gritted his teeth. "Fine! You are not on your game now anyways, Harls. You need to fucking grow some balls."

Harley glared at him, mentally flipping the bastard off.

"Jonny. You've got point with me then." J continued, throwing on his long purple jacket. "Panda, go find Clipper; tell him he is on for tonight. And you..." Joker continued walking right up to Hatter, so close that Hatter could feel his warm breath on his cheeks."You are the one who worried about my princess; the one who raised the alarm." Hatter gulped with fear and slowly nodded his head."

Joker's face spread into a wide grin and to Hatter's surprise, Joker put his hands on Hatter's cheeks and patted them roughly. "You, my man, you have earned my trust. You will stay with my ladies tonight. Their life is in your hands. He put his mouth close to Hatter's ear, "Don't fuck it up, or you are dead."

Joker then walked over to the bed and leaned down over Lisbeth. Harley watched in surprise as J left a gentle kiss on Lisbeth's forehead.

"All right men!" J said standing up and walking towards the door. "Let's go create some chaos."