I Was Hoping She Would Kill You

Hatter knelt down, his head resting on the hard ground as Joker walked out of the kitchen, followed by Jonny and Bones. He let his sobs pour out of his body. He had promised himself and Harley that he would take care of her but now she was gone all because of a psychotic clown's twisted games.

He slowly crawled over to Lisbeth's body. He didn't know what Boss intended him to do with her but he wasn't going to throw her out like garbage like they did with the other bodies.

He reached her body and he looked over her beautiful face as he let the tears rain down on her cheeks. He brushed the hair off of her forehead and gently laid his head on her chest.

After a few seconds of lying there, he jerked his head up in surprise. What??? It couldn't be!!!! He laid his head on her chest again and then put his hand near her lips.

Oh my god. He stared down at her in amazement until a loud laugh had him snapping his head towards the door. Joker stood there with a big smile on his face; Jonny
and the Doc standing on each side of him.

"She...she..." Hatter stuttered. "She's breathing!" He still couldn't believe that he could detect shallow breathing when he put his head to her chest.

Joker laughed again. "I have choked enough women to know when they are dead...or when they have just passed out." He gave a more serious look to the goon. "Did you really think I was going to let her die?? I have put a lot of work into grooming and shaping my perfect, living doll. I was not going to just throw that away. I was hoping she would kill you." He shrugged his shoulders. "But her choosing to die presented me with another interesting opportunity." He grinned again.

He stepped towards Lisbeth and Hatter. "You and I need to have a chat." He sneered before turning to the two men still standing at the door. "Jonny; carry her upstairs and let the Doc check her."

Doc cleared his throat. "With all due respect, sir, she might need more help than just me; she might need oxygen. She would probably be better at a hospital..."

"No hospitals!" J growled back. "If you need anything from a hospital, Jonny will send some men to go get anything you need, got it??"

Doc just nodded as Jonny walked around Joker to pick up Lisbeth, having to tear her away from his little brother.

As the men walked out with the unconscious girl, J put his arm loosely around Hatter's shoulder and led him out of the kitchen and into the large sitting room. He motioned for Hatter to sit on the large sofa while he got them
both a glass of whiskey. Once he had handed it to the trembling boy, he sat down in his armchair across from him.

Joker took a long drink of whiskey, never breaking eye contact with the goon. "So you care about her, do you?" He said in a monotone voice.

"Yes...I mean yes, I do...but you know...not in that way. I...I love Derek...and...even, I mean even if I didn't..." Hatter stuttered out.

J rolled his eyes. "C'mon! You're wasting time! Just say it! You are gay through and through so there is no chance you would ever be trying to fuck my doll, right?"

Hatter just nodded his head up and down before he took a drink of his whiskey, trying to calm his nerves.

Joker grinned, leaning back in his chair. "Perfect!" He laughed loudly, finishing off his drink before he sat forward again, resting his chin on his steepled fingers. "She chose your life 2 times. Yes, she chose me once, but come on! We all know if she would have chosen your life over mine, you both would have been dead before princess could have cocked that fucking gun!"

Hatter nodded again, wondering what Joker was going on about; when he was going to get to his point, because he really wanted to go check on Lisbeth.

"So, I guess you could say....you owe her your life."

"Yes." Hatter murmured out, trying to steady his voice with another drink.

"You remember that!" J said pushing himself forward in the chair. "Because you belong to her now."

Hatter coughed out some whiskey, surprised and confused with the Boss' words.

Joker let out a sigh, leaning his head back. "Princess presents interesting complications that I have never encountered with Harley. Harley.." he hesitated, not wanting his voice to be full of nostalgia about his lost queen."Harley is strong, lethal, as crazy as me. She never needed protecting. Unfortunately little
Nursey is the opposite. Too weak, too fragile, too willing to put down her life for her so-called morals. And," he said, sitting up and liking his lips, "she presents a certain allure
to bad men like myself...and Dig. She needs protection. Especially when Dig finds out I am never giving her up."

Hatter nodded, understanding dawning on him. "You want me to protect her; be her bodyguard?"

Joker put a hand through his hair. "Yes. You will work for me but you will remain with her. When I am not by her side, you are." He let out a cold laugh. "And when I knock her down, because we both know I will, you will be there to pick her up; repair all my damage."

Hatter couldn't let on to Boss how happy he was right now. He had come out of this fray with his life, not to mention a new job which he much preferred to shooting up people for Mr. J.

"I do owe her my life, Boss, and I will protect her with it. I can whole-heartedly promise that."

J stood up grinning, which prompted Hatter to stand up quickly too.

"Good to hear." He patted the goon's shoulder roughly. "Now, why don't you go wait with princess and send Frosty to me. We have business to attend to."

As Hatter was about to turn away, he was grabbed violently by the shoulder and he could hear Mr. J's voice in his ear. "Remember though, Hatter, though you belong to Nursey, your loyalty will ALWAYS lie with me and if you should forget that, I will let you watch as I really strangle the life out of Little Lisbeth before I shoot that Fiancé of yours in the head."