5

Graduation

Graduation

Four Months Later

Natalie pulled the cap and gown on and did a twirl in the mirror. She turned to the speaker sitting on her dresser and turned it on. She turned to Lori, who was sitting on the bed with an unhappy look on her face.

"Come on Lori, dance with me. We have to be adults tomorrow so let's just have one more day as high school girls. Okay?" Natalie said, reaching her hand out to Lori.

"Everything's about to change. Why do you seem so happy about that?" Lori asked, not taking her hand.

"The only thing that is going to change from today to tomorrow is the fact that we no longer are legally required to go to school," Natalie retorted.

Lori sighed and took Natalie's hand. The pair danced and sang along to the song on the radio, laughing hysterically.

"Knock, knock, ladies," said a voice from the doorway.

Natalie turned off the radio and turned to see Shane and Rick standing in the doorway. She smiled and walked quickly into Shane's open arms, making him laugh gently.

"You're in a good mood," Shane said with a chuckle.

"What's the occasion?" Rick asked with a laugh.

"There has to be a special occasion for me to be in a good mood?" Natalie asked in mock offense.

"Yeah," Rick and Lori said in unison, making Natalie laugh.

"Well then. The occasion is our entrance into the real world," Natalie said with a smile.

The group laughed and shook their heads gently. Shane leaned down and kissed the top of Natalie's head. They were both excited for what the future held for them. All four of the friends had gotten into the same college, so they didn't have to feel sad about leaving high school because they were all still going to be together.

"Here's to adulthood," Natalie said, passing around the empty water bottles she had lying on her dresser, proposing a toast.

"This is a real good toast, babe," Shane teased.

"Shut up," Natalie said with a laugh.

"Damn, I love you," Shane said, biting his lip gently, trying not to laugh at her.

"Yeah, you better," Natalie said, a small laugh escaping her lips.

• • •