43

Secrets

Secrets

The Next Morning

Opening her eyes was painful.

The bright light seared her eyeballs, making it difficult to keep them open.

Her head throbbed and pounded.

Even the sound of Glenn rustling softly beside her was enough to make her ears feel like they were splitting.

Tears rolled silently down Natalie's face as she remembered the day before.

"Happy birthday, Natalie," she whispered to herself.

Her tears started coming down even faster. She couldn't control them anymore.

She wiped them quickly, sniffling and climbed out of the tent, blinded by the blazing sun.

"You bitch! What the hell did you do to my clothes?" Andrea shrieked, running in front of Natalie.

"First of all, takes one to know one, bitch. And second of all, shut the hell up. Your voice makes my ears bleed and not just because I'm hungover," Natalie snapped.

"Bitch," Andrea muttered, storming off.

"Whore," Natalie muttered, walking in the opposite direction.

Natalie walked to the edge of the camp where the well was.

She ran her hands through the cold water, splashing it on her face.

"Nice haircut, birthday girl," Rick said, jogging up behind her.

"Somebody pre-gamed last night. A little excited about your birthday?" Rick teased from behind her.

"I'm not so sure I want to get any older," Natalie sighed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Rick asked, squatting down next to her.

"I miss Nicky," Natalie said, her voice breaking.

"I'd say 'no crying on your birthday', but there's something I've got to talk to you about," Rick said slowly.

Natalie could tell he was struggling with his words.

His eyes were bloodshot and the bags under his eyes were bigger and darker than she had ever seen them.

"What's going on, Rick?" Natalie asked, sniffling.

"Lori's pregnant," Rick said quickly.