28

Searching

Searching

The Next Day

The group was actively searching for shelter. They weren't sure how Fort Benning was going to work out, so they wanted to have back up plans in order.

Shane and Natalie sat in the back of the RV together.

"Shane, I want to try something new," Natalie said suddenly.

"Now those are words I've always loved hearing," Shane said with a smirk.

"Not like that, you perv," Natalie said with a laugh, playfully pushing him.

"I want us to try and be friends," Natalie said.

"Are you friendzoning me?" Shane asked.

"You know, almost dying twice does something to a person. It gave me some perspective. I've spent every moment since I found out about you and Lori being mad at you. God, I'm angry. And now I'm sad about Nicky, too. I can't do both. I don't want to be angry anymore. Getting over anger isn't something I'm good at. I'm a professional grudge-holder. But, I'm good at grieving. I've done it before and I can do it again. I can move on. It's always gonna hurt, but I can move on somehow. Being angry at you is keeping me from being able to fully mourn Nick's death. And that's not fair to anyone. Not me, not you, and not Nicky. So what do you say? Friends?" Natalie said, holding out her hand.

"This isn't something I ever expected to hear you say. I never really expected my wife to friend zone me," Shane said with an angry chuckle.

"Well, I am. And I want us to be okay. I lost Nicky. I can't lose you, too. I may have lost my husband, but I don't want to lose my friend," Natalie said softly.

Shane nodded and grabbed Natalie's hand.

Instead of shaking it, as she had expected, he just folded her hand into his own, holding it.

"Everything okay back there?" Dale called.

"Yeah, it is," Natalie said, looking over at Shane.

For the first time in a long time, Natalie felt at peace. She was sad about the death of her son, but she was able to deal with it. She would always be hurt by what happened with Shane and Lori, but she wasn't angry.

She patted Shane's hand gently before taking her hand away and moving to the front of the RV with Glenn and Dale.

"Everything cool?" Glenn asked quietly, looking past Natalie to glare at Shane.