32

Shot

Shot

As the group walked into the forest, Natalie took one last look back at Shane.

She chuckled to herself, shaking her head.

I'm a damn fool, Natalie thought to herself, chuckling.

She didn't know why she was suddenly feeling all these indescribable feelings for Shane.

Just a couple days ago, Shane could've died and she wouldn't have cared, but now, she wanted him back.

She didn't trust him yet, but she wanted to.

She was still feeling hurt about everything that had happened, but she wanted to heal.

She wondered what Nicky would've wanted her to do.

"So, it seems like you and Shane are doing a lot better," Lori said, walking up beside Natalie.

"My relationship with my husband is none of your business," Natalie snapped.

"Sorry, I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you guys," Lori said with a small smile.

Natalie could tell she was lying. They had been best friends for over 20 years. Natalie knew Lori better than anyone-- even Rick.

"Just because I'm giving Shane a shot, doesn't mean you get the same courtesy," Natalie snapped.

Lori nodded and started to turn away from Natalie.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang through the air.

"That was a gunshot," Lori exclaimed.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," Natalie said with a sarcastic smile.

"We all heard it," Daryl said.

"Why one? Why just one?" Lori asked frantically.

"Maybe they took down a walker," Daryl offered.

"Oh please, you know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to take down one walker. Or Shane. They'd do it quietly," Lori snapped.

"Hey, it's not just your family out there. Mine's out there, too," Natalie said gently.

"Oh please. You and Shane haven't been a real family since the world ended," Lori snapped.

Natalie clenched her jaw angrily.

She licked her bottom lip in rage, trying to think of a response she wouldn't regret.

"I'm not just talking about Shane. Ricky and Carl-- they're my family, too. They always have been. All six of us-- well, 5, now. We've always been a family. That doesn't stop just because we're not getting along," Natalie said calmly.