58

Escaped

Escaped

Later That Day

Dale's funeral hit everyone hard.

Dale had been nothing but kind. He was their moral compass. He was never afraid to say how he felt about something, no matter what the consequences were-- Natalie had admired him for that.

The graveyard by the large oak tree just kept growing.

Natalie couldn't bear to see it grow any more.

Natalie sat on the Greene's couch, trying to let everything sink in.

"Is Rick around? I need to speak with him," Herschel said, sitting down next to Natalie.

"He's with Lori and Carl outside. Is everything okay?" Natalie asked, sniffling slightly.

"I want y'all to move into the house. It's not safe outside anymore," Herschel said kindly.

"What made you change your mind?" Natalie asked curiously.

"This," Herschel said with a small smile, holding a blanket in his lap-- it was the blanket Natalie had put around them earlier.

"You and your people have helped my family-- this is how I can repay you," Herschel sighed.

"You won't regret this, sir," Natalie said politely, trying to stay calm despite her excitement.

"Please, call me me Herschel," Herschel said kindly.

"I'll go and fetch Rick for you," Natalie said happily, getting up and scrambling out the door.

"Richard Grimes, you wonderful son of a bitch! You've done it!" Natalie exclaimed excitedly.

"Nat?" Rick asked, confused.

"We're moving in," Natalie said with an excited smile.

"What?" Rick asked, shocked.

"Talk to Herschel," Natalie said, unable to control her smile.

Rick rushed past her into the house.

"We're moving in?" Lori asked, shocked.

"Yeah, Lori. We're gonna have a roof," Natalie said happily.

"God, I've missed sleeping under a real roof," Lori groaned.

"You seen Carl? I want to make sure he's okay. Last night was rough on him," Natalie said, concerned.

"He was walking over by the cars last time I saw him," Lori said, pointing in the general direction.

"Thanks," Natalie said politely, walking quickly towards where Lori had directed.

Natalie saw Carl and Shane talking by the cars.

"Mind if I interrupt?" Natalie asked, walking over to them.