41

Support

Support

Two Hours Later

Natalie sat alone in Glenn's tent, trying to remember a time when things didn't suck.

"Hey, I'm leaving on a run for Lori. Is there anything you need while I'm gone?" Glenn asked gently, popping his head into the tent.

Natalie wiped the tears off her face quickly, trying not to let Glenn see-- he did.

Glenn climbed into the tent and sat down next to Natalie.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Glenn asked softly.

"I was just thinking about Nicky. His birthday's coming up soon. I just miss him so much," Natalie said, her voice breaking.

"I'm really sorry, Natalie," Glenn said comfortingly.

Glenn was awkward when it came to comforting others. He was never sure what to do.

"I don't know if Shane misses him anymore. It's horrible to say, but I just don't know. He won't talk to me about it. I need to talk about it. And he's the only one who truly gets it. Granted, I'm a bitch and he definitely doesn't want to talk to me about anything, but I have the right to be a bitch. I just want to talk about my literally dead son with my metaphorically dead husband," Natalie cried.

"Is there anything I can do?" Glenn asked, concerned.

"You're doing it. You've listened more in the past few weeks than my--" Natalie cut herself off, her face dropping.

"Your who, Natalie?" Glenn asked quietly.

"My mom. She died when I was 8. Car accident. I guess she only got 8 years of listening in. She was always working. I didn't see her much," Natalie said quietly, looking at the ground in front of her.

"What did your mom do?" Glenn asked, trying to get her mind off of Nicky.

"Surgeon," Natalie sighed.

"What kind?" Glenn asked.

"Orthopedic. I always found it funny that she broke bones for a living, but yet was the sweetest and most gentle woman I've ever met," Natalie said with a soft chuckle.

"She sounds wonderful," Glenn said soothingly.

"She was," Natalie said with a teary-eyed smile.

"What about your dad?" Glenn asked.

"He started working a lot more when my mom died. He wanted me to have a good life. He tried his best to fill her role. He really did. And I loved him for it. I learned how to be okay on my own, but I can't be alone. I just don't know how to do it. I can't be lonely. I just can't. He died a couple years ago," Natalie said quietly.