8

Job

Job

One Year Later

"If you get yourself hurt, I will kill you," Natalie said, not smiling.

Shane leaned his head down, chuckling softly. It was his first day working on the police force. He and Rick were going to be partners. Shane was excited, but Natalie was incredibly anxious.

"I'm gonna be just fine, Nat," Shane said reassuringly.

Natalie sighed deeply. She knew she had to trust that he would be okay.

"You better be, Walsh," Natalie said with a soft chuckle.

"It's Officer Walsh to you," Shane joked, a smirk forming on his lips.

Police sirens sounded outside the house, making Natalie jump. Shane laughed at her.

"That's my ride," Shane said with a smile.

Natalie sighed and walked him outside. He pecked her quickly on the lips before running to get in the passengers seat of the police car, which Rick was driving. Rick rolled down the window.

"Don't worry Nat, I'll bring him home in one piece," Rick joked.

"You better, or else I'll send you home to Lori in two," Natalie called out to the car.

"I love you," Shane called from the car.

"I know," Natalie said with a wink.

"Oh come on, Nat," Shane said, rolling his eyes.

"I love you too. Be good out there," Natalie said with a sigh.

"Always am," Shane said, patting the side of the car, signaling for Rick to drive off.

Natalie sighed and went back into the house to get her own work done. She was a real estate agent, so, when she didn't have any appointments, she was able to work from home. She was happy about that because when the time came around, she would be able to raise a family without worrying about her schedule. Her cell phone started ringing on her desk, making her look up from her computer. She expected it to be a client, but it was Lori.

"Hey, Nat," came Lori's voice through the receiver.

"So the boys have their first day as cops today," Natalie said with a chuckle.

"Yeah, that's why I'm calling. I'm freaking the hell out," Lori said, obviously panicked.

"Me too, but I trust them. They'll be okay. They did graduate the police academy with honors," Natalie said, trying to reassure Lori.

Lori laughed on the other line. Natalie held the phone to her ear with her shoulder, still trying to type on the computer. Her client was trying to get her offer in on a house as quickly as possible and considering the house was listed at 2.6 million dollars and Natalie was getting commission, she wanted to get that house for her client.

"I can hear you typing, so I'm gonna go. I can tell you're busy. I'll call you later tonight. Love you, Nat," Lori said, hanging up the phone.

"You too," Nat said, putting the phone down, not taking her eyes away from the computer screen.

It was a long time before Shane got back home. Natalie tried distracting herself all day, burying herself in her work. When she heard the front door open, she all but ran out of her office to greet Shane at the door. He picked her up and spun her around, making her laugh.

"I missed you today," he said with a laugh.

"How was your first day?" Natalie asked quickly.

"It was fine. Just handling some petty crime and a lot of patrolling," Shane said.

"How'd Rick do?" Natalie asked.

"We've always been a good team," Shane said with a chuckle.

• • •