9

Surprise

Surprise

One Year Later

Natalie sat in the bedroom, anxiously waiting for Shane to get him from work. When she heard the front door open, her heart leaped with excitement.

"Shane?" Natalie called.

"Nat? Everything okay?" Shane asked, his footsteps quickly coming closer.

"I think so, I just have this mark that I think you should see," Natalie said.

Shane got a look of concern on his face.

"Are you okay, baby?" He asked quickly, fearing that something was going to be wrong with her.

"Here, just look at this and tell me what you think," Natalie said.

Shane was starting to get really concerned. He had no idea what she was about to show him. He started playing scenarios over in his head. He worried that she was sick or dying or had skin cancer or something horrible like that. Natalie lifted up her shirt, revealing the words I'M PREGNANT written on her stomach. Shane's face lit up. Natalie's face broke out into a smile. He grabbed her hips gently and started kissing all over her stomach excitedly, making her laugh hysterically as she ran her hands through his long, dark curls.

"When'd you find out?" Shane asked, looking up at Natalie.

"I had a suspicion a couple weeks ago. I got a doctor's confirmation this morning," Natalie said with a smile.

Shane couldn't wipe the smile off of his face. He was gonna be a dad and he was beyond excited.

"I gotta go call Rick," Shane said, running towards the phone.

Natalie laughed and shook her head.

"Hey, Shane. Come back in here for a minute," Natalie called.

Shane walked back into the room quickly, a confused look on his face.

"Everything okay?" Shane asked.

"I think we should wait a little longer before we start telling people. Once my first trimester is over, then we can start, but for right now, we should keep it between us, just in case. It's only another few weeks. You know?" Natalie said.

Shane nodded silently.

"Besides, word on the street is that Rick'll have his own news to share with you in a couple months," Natalie said, a mischievous smile on her lips.

"Lori's pregnant?" Shane asked.

"Maybe. She'll know for sure in a couple of weeks. I kind of hope she is, it'd be nice to have someone to go through this with," Natalie said, smiling at the thought of their two kids growing up together and being that close in age.

"God, I love you," Shane said with a sigh.

"Both of you," he added, kissing her stomach again, making Natalie laugh.

• • •