Chapter 1 (Mare POV)

"Hey, can we talk?" I step into Cal's room. He's lying on his bed looking up at the ceiling. I wish I could tell what he's thinking. I take another step forward and close the door behind me. He looks towards me with that stupid grin and asks, "Yeah, what's up?"
He seems to be in a good mood. Not for long. I walk towards him and sit on the bed next to him. He moves closer to me, probably expecting me to kiss him or something but I turn away. I can't look him in the eye. He doesn't know what I'm about to say, but it's almost like he can tell that I'm about to disappoint him.
"You okay?" he asks.
"Sorta, I need to tell you about a plan I have for us to really get ahead in this war." He looks intrigued and confused at the same time. I don't usually help plan these things. It hurts me to hear about the war and people dying. Sometimes it's all just too much for me.
"Okay, I'm been sending letters back and forth with someone who can stop this war. They say, that if an offer is made, Maven will call off all attacks and let everyone live in peace." Cal scoffs.
"Yeah right! Knowing my brother, there's nothing that he wants more than killing us all. What's this great offer we're gonna make him to stop the war?"
I don't know what to say. How do I explain it without him going ballistic? I take a deep breath and look him right in the eye.
"It's me, Cal. I'm going to offer myself to Maven in exchange for him stopping the war."

Author's Note
This story takes places towards the middle of Glass Sword when both Maven and the Scarlet Guard are trying to find the New-bloods. Like any fanfiction, I've taken some creative license and changed some things. Thanks!