Chapter 2 (Mare POV)

His face betrays everything he's feeling. I see anger burning behind his eyes and I place my hand on his shoulder to calm him down. He shrugs it off.
"So let me get this straight, you've decided to sell yourself to Maven for him to stop the war? Is that really your plan?"
"Cal it's the only way! If I agree to marry him, he says he'll not only stop the attacks on the Reds and Newbloods, but he'll give you your freedom. I can't let you stay on the run just because I can't deal with wearing a ring on my finger."
He looks hurt. "So for me to be free, you're gonna not only give away your freedom, but take away the one thing that makes me happy? That's so fucked up, Mare. I can't let you." When he looks at me, I see tears in his eyes. I try to find the words to tell him that it's gonna be okay, that he can find someone else, that I can live with Maven.
"Cal," I sigh, "You know more than anyone that we all have to do whatever we can to win this war. For me, that means giving myself to Maven. For you, that means sitting back and letting me do it. I'm saving lives here Cal, you just need to trust that I'll be fine."
"So, you're gonna be his wife? That's it, right?" I sigh. I know what he's getting at.
"Cal, I'll do whatever he wants me to. If he wants me to sit still and look pretty, I will. If he wants a more intimate relationship, I need to give him what he wants. You have to understand that I wish there was another way."
He stands up abruptly and walks away from me. I stand up and follow him. As I try to place my hand on his shoulder, he whips around with fire in his eyes. I pull away, my hand burning from the heat of his rage.
"Mare I love you! How can you do this to me? You have no idea what's going on in my head! I need to save my people and this is the only way, but I can't lose you, it'll tear me apart!"
He's about to say more but I step forward and kiss him. I was planning on it being a short and sweet kiss but he pulls me closer, his hands tangled in my hair. My hands move from where they were behind his neck to his chest. He expects me to start undoing his shirt but I know better. Every second we spend in this kiss, we're just longing after something both of us know we can never have. I push him away and step back.
"We can't do this, I need to marry Maven." I turn away, I can't look at him without crying. I leave the room and close the door behind me.