Chapter 16 (Cal POV)

I didn't want to leave her there. I don't think I had a choice. If I stayed any longer, I would've lost it. She'll be fine. I know she will. I believe in her. As I step outside into the crisp night air, I hear a voice behind me.
"Cal, wait up!" I know that voice. It sounds like me, but lighter and younger. Maven. I don't turn around but I stop. "What do you want Maven? Haven't you ruined my life enough? Did you come to rub it in?" I take a deep breathe in and I breathe out. Stay calm. He's just your brother. He's only marrying the only girl you'll ever love.
"Actually, no. I came to apologize. I'm sorry. I didn't want it to come to this. If I had a choice, I would've chosen differently. Even from the beginning, I would've chosen differently. And I know that you love her. And she loves you more than anything. But I think she can learn to love me too. Probably never as much as she loves you, but I have faith in her. And as much as you want it to be, this isn't all about you. I have superiors and advisers who think that an official red queen is good idea. I didn't mean to break up the one thing you had left. But somehow I did and I just want you to know that I'm sorry." I stand there for a second, his words echoing in my mind. "Cal, are you gonna say something or just stand there?" I turn around, my hands in my pockets, unable to look him in the eye. "I'm not gonna lie and say I accept your apology. Because I don't. My life is over because of you. But I will say this. I know that Mare and I are meant to be. And do whatever you want. You aren't able to keep us apart." I turn around and continue walking, leaving Maven standing speechless.

Cal chapter bc why not? It's kinda short but whatever. At least it's something.
- Just Jules