Chapter 55 (Mare POV)

The ball is a blur of expensive looking food and shiny decorations. It's like we're treating the ambassadors and nobles of Piedmont as young children who can be distracted by a glimpse of something with sparkles. Maven gives a brief speech that I just about tune out of. I spend most of dinner pretending to enjoy my food and making polite conversation with the youngest prince of Piedmont, who's ended up sitting next to me. The one who danced with Gee at the wedding. He asked about her and if she was okay. I was ashamed to admit that I really didn't know. I haven't written to her or tried to reach out to her at all. He seemed to understand though. I don't get the impression that he really loves his brothers to much. They're both at least ten years older than him and I think he resents the fact that they've been given all this control to split up evenly, and that clearly hasn't happened. I listen to him talk about Piedmont. He talks about it so fondly, spewing bits about his childhood. I had always been told that Piedmont was a falling apart hell hole where you can't move three feet without tripping over someone in poverty. But when I think about it for a second, it all makes sense. Everything I was told about Piedmont was what was happening in my own country. I'm snapped back into reality by a few taps of a spoon on a wine glass. Maven is standing next to me with his glass raised.
"If I may have your attention ladies and gentlemen, I would like to make a toast. To peace, to friendship, and to prosperous futures for both the Nation of Piedmont and Norta." The nobles, senators, and ambassadors all raise their glasses before drinking. I do the same. Cheers to the pretending.

It's been a hot sec but here I am with a new chapter. Thx for reading and for 12k reads 😘 - Just Jules