Chapter 44 (Cal POV)

"Okay fine. You win. We're moving out to the countryside. I'll cancel the rest of our week in this hotel and we can start looking for houses." I can't put up with her bugging me about it anymore. She might be annoying, but it almost feels like she cares about me. And maybe moving away from the city will be good for me. Maybe I can find someone else and forget about Mare like she probably has so easily forgotten about me. Or at least I can pretend to forget about her. I know I never will. She'll stay in the back of my mind every day that I'm alive. Victoria shakes me from my thoughts.
"Great! I knew you'd eventually come around! I know the perfect place for us. We can move in at the end of the week. It's a decent trip but I think we can get there on foot. I'll start packing our stuff!" Just seeing how excited she is to move to her home, the countryside, gives me some hope. I might be able to live with this. She's definitely not Mare. But she's someone. And I don't think I can be alone right now.

We're staying in her hometown. It's small. About half the size of the palace grounds. Everyone seems to know each other. But none of them recognize me. I'm like a shadow weaving through people in the tiny marketplace. No one gives me a second thought. Victoria leads me down a less crowded street and I see a young women sitting on the street, attempting to start a fire with two sticks. She turns away for a second to beg for money from a man passing by. I step up to her pile of sticks and quietly set them ablaze. Victoria pulls me away before the women returns. I don't even get to see her face when she sees the fire. Before we reach the house Victoria picked, I see at least five more people living on the streets. I can't believe I had no idea my people were living like this.

I know promised a longer chapter and this isn't that much longer sorry. Also this is a day late. I've been traveling and just generally busy I'm sorry again. Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading! - Just Jules