Chapter 43 (Mare POV)

I made a choice. A choice I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. But I did it for him. So he doesn't have to live with it for the rest of his life. So I'll stay here, not because I want to, but because I don't have a choice. If not for Cal, then for Gee and Mom and Dad. For my family. For my country. Speaking of my country, spending time in the palace has opened my eyes to how easily it could fall apart. The government has at least three different opinions on every issue and the power dynamic in some of these meetings or planning sessions is insane. Everyone has personal business with someone else on the board or committee so opinions, positions, and votes are being purchased with money, power, or blackmail. It's all one scandal from falling apart completely. All I can do for now is attempt to keep the peace between Maven, and every other political official while also sneaking off when I have the time to write up my own backup plan in case this system crumbles. It also takes my mind off of everything happening with Cal and without it, I'd just tear myself apart thinking about him and everything I did wrong.

Short really bad chapter sorry. I promise the next ones will be longer. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules