Chapter 13 (Mare POV)

I drift through the reception. Everyone is happy. Everyone eats. I'm not happy. I pick at my food and don't eat anything more than bite of salad. I think if I eat more I might throw up. Maven stands up and starts tapping his glass.
"I'd like to thank everyone for coming. This has been a wonderful day. I'm excited to start my new life with my new wife. We'll be send out information about Mareena's coronation as our new Queen soon." Maven hands the microphone to his advisor.
"Now let's welcome the bride and groom for the first dance." Maven takes my hand and leads me onto the dance floor. He places his hand on my waist and motions for me to put my hand on his shoulder. I do, reluctantly, as he grabs my other palm with his free hand. I can hear violins and cellos start to play as everyone gathers around to watch us. In the corner of my eye, I can see Cal, staring at me. When he sees I'm looking at him, he holds eye contact for a second or two before swiftly turning around and pushing through the doors into the hallway. It takes all I have in me not to go after him.
Once we finish the first dance, I decide to try and find Cal. Before I leave, I check to make sure Maven's occupied. He's busy talking to the King of Piedmont. I also check in on my family. My mom and dad are sitting down talking to Julian. My brothers have started a drinking game with some of the other boys at the bar. Gee is dancing with the son of one of the noble men. I carefully back towards the exit and slip out. After I close the doors, I run to look for Cal. I check every room and every hall. I even check the bathrooms. Then I start to panic. Did he leave? He wouldn't do that, right? Before I can answer myself, I hear crying coming from outside. It's quiet but now that I'm farther from the loud reception hall, I can hear it clearly. I step out the door and see Cal, sitting on the pavement, crying into his hands. I st down next to him and remove his hands from his face. He looks up at me and once he sees who I am, he quickly stands up and wipes the tears from his eyes.
"Cal, what's wrong? Are you okay? Talk to me." I take his hands in mine and hold them to my chest. "You know you can still tell me anything." He hesitates before starting.
"It's just... well... I sort of just found out about my mother, I mean my step-mother. She was a horrible human being and manipulated me and my father for years. She killed my real mother and cut Sara Skonos' tongue out. Still, she was the only thing close to a mother I had growing up. Even if it's probably a good thing she's dead, it still hurts, you know?" I nod while putting my arms around his neck and pull him into a hug.
"It's gonna be okay Cal," I can feel tears forming around my eyes. Seeing him cry makes me cry. "Everything is going to be okay."